Meshcam or Photo V-Carve

Thread: Meshcam or Photo V-Carve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Meshcam or Photo V-Carve

I'm not trying to start a "which is better" argument, but trying to understand the differences.

Meshcam appears to be a stand alone CAD/CAM solution for people who need a way to go, and Photo V-Carve seems to be, essentially, a more focused software solution for lithophanes and similar art carvings (i.e., it looks to be the equivalent to MeshCam-Art, seemingly a subset of MeshCam proper).

So I'd like some input from those, who have both, on the differences of the two software's capabilities.
    I already use Rhino/MadCam and V-Carve Pro for all my basic design, so all I really want to add is the most effective way to add a piece of software that will transition art to carvings.
    As I've mentioned in an another post, Rhino already has it's "Heightfield" command (works, but a bit limited), MeshCam-Art is similar but offers more control, and I assume that Photo-VCarve is similar to MeshCam-Art.

Can someone help me to better understand the finer points and differences. As mentioned I'm only looking at the most effective way to transform photos and art into carvings, that's all.

TIA

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think MeshCAM Standard will do everything you want. You can load an image and automatically convert it to a heightmap similar to what Rhino does. You can optionally smooth it if it has noise or characteristics that would make it difficult to machine. The toolpath part is pretty simple- you can generate a parallel finishing toolpath (and a roughing if necessary) and it should calculate very quickly.

I can't speak to what the other programs you mention do but it's worth noting that MeshCAM treats the heightmap as a real surface to be machined. It will calculate the toolpath by offsetting the tool from the surface like it would for a normal CAD file. I've seen other programs that just drive the tool across the image surface with no offset or interference/gouge checking so a few bad pixels can ruin the output.

I believe that Photo-VCarve would be similar to the simple image machining workflow in MeshCAM Standard. MeshCAM Art would be more similar to Aspire where you begin with the art/photo and then build your relief. (but MC Art is much more limited than Aspire)

You'll also get all of the other 3D machining capabilities that MeshCAM has. Maybe that would be useful for you at some point.

-Robert

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a big fan of Vectric products. I use Cut2D a LOT. I used the trial version of Photo VCarve for a while before I tried MeshCam. I absolutely love MeshCam and wouldn't consider anything else for lithophanes.

Since Robert has a very generous trial policy, I suggest you give MeshCam a try. It is also good, as was mentioned above, for 3d machining. My best friend and I use it a lot for cutting 3d parts designed in Sketchup (even though we also have Cut3d).