Meshcam... Stock size and Z Depth

Thread: Meshcam... Stock size and Z Depth

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Meshcam... Stock size and Z Depth

I use Cambam and Emachineshop for most of my work, but I am no expert.
    I have downloaded the trial version of MeshCam. I have been using it for the past 2 or 3 days. I am loading some 3D files into Meshcam and cutting them from wood in 2D/2.5D . The end result is impressive for the short time I have been using the software but I have run into a few small problems. One is that I have trouble getting the axis around the correct way on the object. Even though the axis are clearly displayed on the file inside Meshcam, Y seems to be mistaken for Z. And when I come to put the file into Gcode for Mach3, it cuts the material that is supposed to be the object, and leaves the waist (in other words, a negative image) . I played around with the settings in MeshCam and Managed to cure this, but I don't know how I did it !. The second problem isnt directly related just to MeshCam, but I need to get around it. When, for example I have stock which measures X=200mm Y=200mm and Z=90mm.And my Piece will measure 100x100x85mm. My roughing tool is a 6mm single flute endmill shaft width 6mm / length 40mm and 20mm long flute. My spindle chuck width is 40mm. So I presumed, If in the tool menu I edit the 6mm endmill to be a shaft width of 44mm, this would allow for the tool to go deeper into the stock by "maybe" stepping the material down around the outside of the piece to alow the chuck to clear the material ?. I thought this would work, but it doesnt. I understand I could either buy longer tools, or I could choose "cut whole stock" in the toolpath menu, but my clamps are in the way for that size material. Is there a way round this in Meshcam ?