After talking with a few people it seems the best thing i can do for inductance value is look at similar motors and use the inductance they are rated for. (4-5)
I measured the resistance across the armature terminals at 1.8 ohms so that was simple enough.
Went thru my encoder wiring, found a mistake. I am lucky the mistake i made did not cause any damage. After sorting that out the tests were working as they should.
After playing around with the PID parameters and looking at the scope results i think it might be better/easier to get the servo settings tuned initially with gdtool instead of dctool.
going to flash back to standard firmware and try tonight.
I also read thru Manuals / Guides Home
Seems like the best tuning resource i have found for a newbie