VSDE 160 BLDC problem - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSDE 160 BLDC problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tried testint , it thinks the motor is a 4 pole and tells me there 2630 encoder counts.

I can get you remote access into the machine and GDtool if you like.
    I even have a camera setup on it.

The motor at present is not mounted. The couple is off it.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could save & email me the GDtool settings and motor specs for checking. However, from description I still suspect the encoder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi evo4wrx,
    Just curious how big is your lathe? I am building lathe also w/GD which is on the way. I monitor this issue for info. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its about 1.8m high...2M across.

Hollow constuction back filled with sika granite mix for weight and dampening.

4 axis. Turn mill to be more precise.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Encoder problem

I have changed the enoders to a Renco andcoder 25 serries.

The motor is now spinning in the test with an error again.

It suspects the motor to be a 4 pole count and is again turning 2615 counts on the encoder.

Im basically at the same problem as I had with the US Digital Encoders.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by evo4wrx View Post
    I have changed the enoders to a Renco andcoder 25 serries.

The motor is now spinning in the test with an error again.

It suspects the motor to be a 4 pole count and is again turning 2615 counts on the encoder.

Im basically at the same problem as I had with the US Digital Encoders.
    I'm sad to hear so. Could you email me (or post here) detailed photos of whole electrical system & wiring so I could see if there is some clear mistake? Email me at tero.kontkanen@g....devices.fi.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There
    Im new to this and kind of been left to plow my way thru it we have purchased 6 of your drives and trying to match these up with Mach3 and also the motion king Servo motors supplied having trouble getting motors to respond

Regards

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that's a somewhat brief description of your problem, are you attempting a 6 axis setup? is your problem between the drives and mach3 or the motor and the drives? have you got the motors to communicate with the drives through the usb port and the granite devices set up soft ware? have you tuned the motors? how are you interfacing the drives with mach3?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there, Thanks for the email. Sorry to be so brief when we got involved in this build we anticipated support from the agent in New Zealand but we have basically been sold the goods paid for them and been left to sort it out so im doing my best to work thru this

This in no way is a reflection on Granite devices who are trying to help me

the machine is large and we designed it for cutting foam plug moulds for boat building

It has 6 drives one for Z.Y.A.B and 2 for the X Axis as the Gantry is fairly large

The motors are 2 x 900 watts X Motion King BLDC servo drives,Y is the same but only 1 of

Z is 1200 watt (braked ) and the rotating A is 600 Watt .the tilting Spindle head we call be is a puppy i thing around 300 watts

My background is engineering and fabrication so this is a real struggle for me ,But a challenge to say the least

The machine control cabinet was wired to the servo drives thru the agent here in New Zealand and the servos were at that stage befroe pluging in the extension pins all flashing purple (VSD)

we have now pluged in the extension cords and insulated and checked and double checked the wiring as supplid with colour and pin number

Mach 3 has been down loaded and is working on the screen we can us the pop up remote and get the count to go up on the X .Y.Z ,A screen but no go for the motors

The drives are Flashing Red
    Green is constantly on Iluminated
    Blue is constantly on iluminated

Just a question this may seam far out but is it possible thru the net someone can hook into this machine and help us remotely tune and do the set up

sorry for my ignorance if it isnt that simple

Regards

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im just wondring if it was possible to set up a web cam and skype and someone could talk me thru this and as i do it they can see what im doing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

were it me, I would start by tuning the motors. you can make certain that the drive and motor are communicating that way. if the drive and motor can't be addressed through the usb cable for tuning, the problem is probably in the wiring interface between the drives and the motors. the vsd manual doesn't contain a code such as you indicate on the drives. on mine when they are ready to run they are steady blue.

if in fact you are able to tune the motors with the GD tuning software, and you can move the motor manually from the command line in the tuning interface, then there may be a problem with the configuration of Mach3. I would suggest you download the VSDEPI manual and review allthe info there as well as the other manuals.

I'm sorry I can't be more help than this, but I suspect the problem is in the interface between the parallel port and the drives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im going to take your advise think it jst needs to be stepped thru one the VSDE the lights are constantly on GReen and Blue and the red is flashing on all the drives

I have spoken to Granite devices and they indicate that although we thought we had purchased a 1500 watt power suply we may have an issue there aswell

Regards

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tim.

There is probably nothing wrong with the 1500W power but the 12V logic supply power (judging from led blinking mode). Please try with another kind of 12V supply.

Some supplies have long voltage rise time and that's my guess about reason for this fault.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thankyou we will try this

Regards

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There
    Following on from our recent requests for info in relation to the setting up and interfacing of drives with servo motors

As discused we are using Granite Devices Servo drives the system is running 5 axis although because of size of machine we have 2 drives and 2 motors driving X axis

We call X 1
    Y
    Z
    A
    B

currently we have displayed on our drives and have managed to be able to tune all motors except the Z Axis which is the Larger of the Servo drives

We note we can only tune these with Hall Sensors turned off and have discussed this wit the Granite Devices Agent here in New Zealand

On start up phase the lights displayed flash Blue and Green All drives except the Z Axis loose the green light quickly while the Z flahes for approximatey 2 mins then goes into Red Fault

We have upgraded the motor feed wire as the lenght is approximately 20 metres the size wire is 2.5 mm screend cable

We would appreciate any imput to try and resolve this

Regards

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VSDE 160 BLDC problem

Quote Originally Posted by NZCNC View Post
    Hi There
    Im new to this and kind of been left to plow my way thru it we have purchased 6 of your drives and trying to match these up with Mach3 and also the motion king Servo motors supplied having trouble getting motors to respond

Regards

Tim
    hey Tim can I contact you please to talk about how you managed to solve your Granite Devices VSD and MotionKing motors , I am bench testing almost identical setup and having faulting on the drives. In the end I am curious what earthing setup you used for FG and GND and the encoder and motor cables, I suspect thats where my issue is although I have followed the manual to the best of my interpretation.

Thanks
    Richard Harcourt rich@splitn2.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12