swimming sea turtles part 2

Thread: swimming sea turtles part 2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default swimming sea turtles part 2

After doing the sea turtle in basswood ,i then started the laminating of black walnut for the final 3 turtles.
    The thickness had to be right on to match up with the dimensions i used to create the toolpaths.
    Everything when pretty good ,the small turtle needed some repairs as the fins got quite thin
    The three turtles took about 2.9 hrs of maching as you have to do each side rough/final then flip it and do rough/final
    again.Also i needed tabs to keep the turtle in place and a long end mill and ball nose bit(3 inch bits),the cnc dips and dives for the cuts
    I included a mock of of the base ,the arranging is not final some fine tuning is required
    like the pieces of driftwood might be too high
    And the turtles need sanding and some touch up grinding with the dremel and cutz all bit

all in all its coming along,just sanding and gluing and a bunch of laquer coats to finish
    its a shame to drill holes in that live edge base,as it looks good with the year rings