Single Point Diamond Turning

Thread: Single Point Diamond Turning

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single Point Diamond Turning

I have read many posts about SPDT and it looks like what I need to avoid polishing acrylic parts that I am CNC turning.
    The dimensions are not critical so I am looking for low-cost sources of diamond tooling. Any suggestions? TIA
    Bertho

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Bertho

Just using a monocrystalline diamond tooling will not give you a superb finish as there are other factors that contribute to achieving optical finishes. The use of fluid film bearings for both the spindle and slideways has a major impact as things like spindle runout and stiction cause major scratches although on a microscopic scale. I have seen diamond tools on ebay however i would not like to say how good they are. I would suggest you firstly buy a PCD (polycrystalline diamond) insert from ebay for about 10 pounds and see if this improves it enough and the next step i would suggest is purchase a cheap air bearing spindle one of which i have picked for less than 50 quid. You make a mount to use it in a standard lathe and this will significantly improve the asynchronous runout which is the biggest factor in surface finish whereas synchronous runout affects form. Hope this helps

Regards

Flannman

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Flannman,
    I looked at eBay without luck but I will keep looking. Good advice too about the air bearing spindle.
    A second reason for the diamond tooling is that the parts that I am making are very small, just a couple of mm in diameter, and I have serious heat problems with the regular tooling. I am hoping that the very sharp diamond will produce less heat.
    Thanks again,
    Bertho

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bertho View Post
    I have read many posts about SPDT and it looks like what I need to avoid polishing acrylic parts that I am CNC turning.
    The dimensions are not critical so I am looking for low-cost sources of diamond tooling. Any suggestions? TIA
    Bertho
    Bertho,

Please feel free to send me a pm with your specifications/requirements with regards to the diamond tools that you are looking for. I would be more than happy to try and help you out.

K&Y Diamond Ltd. - Ph:(514) 333-5606, Fax:(514) 339-5493
    http://www.kydiamond.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Single Point Diamond Turning

Everything You Want To Learn About Diamond Turning:
    https://syntecoptics.com/blog/everyt...mond-turning-2