bavelloni, cms, omag

Thread: bavelloni, cms, omag

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default bavelloni, cms, omag

I am new to this site because I own a marble shop that is looking to get a cnc in the next 6-12 months. Since this is a huge investment, I am trying to do my homework. We have a small shop and I am looking to NOT hire employees and I believe this will help quality/output for years to come. I'll try to keep it short so...I've narrowed it down to Bav, omag and brembana (concept not maxima). What are your experiances with these machines and: Is a belt spindle (omag,bav) better for granite? How much will I use the 4th axis saw(normal kitchens)? Is the probe on the bav really better/faster? Can I expect to fabricate 2 kitchens/day on these? Is it resonable to assume that with proper maintance I can get 10 years from these brands(aprx 1200 hrs/year)? Right now I believe I like the Bavelloni the most, but the omag is $35000 less. All your comments will be helpful.
    Thank you, Nick

Similar Threads:

i do rock sign fabrication myself i don't know much about the others but will say that my bav the i purchased for doing small scale signs works awesome on stone unless im trying to do something with it i shouldn't the belt is way better for me beacuse of the grit it gets into so just my 2c worth

"The best things said should be written in stone"
    Colton www.coltonscustoms.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Also

Thanks colton, I would also like to add that 90% of our work is a laminated edge of 4cm. I would assume that everything is cut an eighth bigger and glued prior to putting the material on. Will the probe on the bav work if the pcs. are upside down and there is a glue-up? anyone cnc'ing mostly laminated edges?

Downloads
    Uploads

We have a Omag top 95, Omag mill 98, and Brembana maxima 5-axis.

We cut granite, marble, and limestone and we also cut laminated edges.

The Omag top 95 has over 18,000 hrs. on it. we bought it used with about 2300 hrs. on it and have been runnig it for 8 years.

The Omag mill 98 has over 14,000 hrs on it. we bought it used with 1800 hrs on it and have been running it for 7 years.

The maxima has over 5,000 hrs. on it. we bought it used with 1,700 hrs. on it and have been running it for 3 years.

So to answer you question, yes with proper matinance you will get 10 years out of an Omag or a Brembana. But do expect some down time while waiting for replacement parts.

A few things I don't like about the Omag is the water union to the spindle, and waiting for parts.

As far as the brembana, if we buy another machine it will be a brembana.
    I'm not sure about the concept but the maxima is a great machine.

I have no experience with a Bavelloni.

I have not noticed a difference between belt driven or direct drive.

The more experience you get on the machine the more you will use the extra features (4th axis).

It depends on the size of the kitchen and how much machining is being done to each pc., but generally yes.

If you have no experience on CNC machines you will have to factor in a learning curve (brooken tools, crashing the machine, learning the software, ect...)

Another consideration is the software that comes with the machine, what type of work that you do now and what type of work you expect to do 5 years form now.

Also check out this website http://www.stoneadvice.com/forum/ ther are alot of people that have each of those machines and you will get more answers.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.

Last edited by machineoperator; 07-28-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nick, I would recommend going to as many shops that you can find that would let you take a look at their setup and machines. Ask questions about their machines, customer service, technical support and parts. Look at the controls on the machine and the software to run the cnc. Call the manufacturers of the 3 brands that you mentioned and ask for referrals. The manufacturer may also know of some shops that you can tour.
    I used to work for one of the 3 you mentioned. I would buy one of theirs in a second. I am not as familiar with the other two you mentioned.
    Check out the stoneadvice.com site mentioned earlier. I am on it and use it frequently. There is a ton of fabricators (stone) on that site as well as alot of good advice.

Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks paul

Thanks Paul, I have been LIVING on stone advice and when I stop procrastinating I will join the SFA. I have already spoken with Bavelloni and Brembana and they are going to let me see thier machines in action. I will have to travel out of my area to find a fabricaor that doesn't mind, but I understand. Maybe you don't want to say because you didn't, but I would like to know what company you worked for? It won't sway my decision, but inside knowledge of how a company acts would be a point. So far it seems like the Brembana guys would be the most help after purchase. Bav should be good too, I like that they are company direct and not from a distrbutor like omag. Again, it's a lot of money and I'm just slowly absorbing as much as I can. Would anyone reccomend me taking a cad class prior to purchase?? I think I'm going to check out the C.C.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nick, I did not say who I used to work for because I didnt want to sway your choice. There are many good CNC manufacturers out there. I worked for CMS North America (Brembana) as their on-site applications instructor. I would train the customers on their new machines and teach them the software (Easy Stone) at their facility in Grand Rapids, MI. I am currently programming for one of CMS's wood routers at my present place of work. They have great customer service and technical support.
    If you have any questions let me know. I am usually on here a couple times a week.

Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dido is that you? I still owe you air mileage.
    Kendon Shirley

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Kendon, wrong Paul. This is Paul Kik. I used to work with Dido. I will accept the owed air miles though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi Nick!
    I am new in this forum but if I can be of any help just let me know. I was a BAVELLONI Italy member and I was used to train customers for the machine and the software. If you need any clarification or advice just let me know. If you are interested in a second hand cnc machine cominig from italy, I can help in that too. it's part of my job (I am self employed in the field doing technical service, providing tools, accessories, second hand machinery, equipment etc.).
    Ciao,
    Fabio

Downloads
    Uploads

anythig I can do to help let me know , I've been in the glass machine biz sence 1971 and have years of hands on (daily makeing glass parts ) expierience on many different machines. And with that said , I'll say this -you just don't flip on the switch everyday and expect the machine to preform you have to mantaine it and keep it clean. the worst part is traineing the person operateing it to work it properly and not force it. Keep it oiled and greased. Every machine I seeen has had poor maintanance. I'm looking at getting out of this trade soon and all the NCN machines are only as good as the person operateing them and the pool of talent is long gone in this trade , younger guys don't want to learn it , no wonder the chinese are getting all our busness. Mike Bush

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have a blade 625 omag it is a 5 axis machine parts are best chased down with salem dist they're a us company that is now handeling omag machine for parts service and training if you want 2 kitchen a day and have the vacuum pod its a great machine it goes from bridge saw to mill in about 6 min or if you opt for the right angle iso 40 blade attachment 10 seconds you have a large table the software is very intuitive for many different things. moldings, engraving corbals, trim yes even counters

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bavelloni, cms, omag

Quote Originally Posted by Making chips View Post
    Nick, I did not say who I used to work for because I didnt want to sway your choice. There are many good CNC manufacturers out there. I worked for CMS North America (Brembana) as their on-site applications instructor. I would train the customers on their new machines and teach them the software (Easy Stone) at their facility in Grand Rapids, MI. I am currently programming for one of CMS's wood routers at my present place of work. They have great customer service and technical support.
    If you have any questions let me know. I am usually on here a couple times a week.

Paul

Hello ,

I need help with CMC Technometal b7 .

We bought this machine , but without documentation , and would like to ask if you have any documentation for this machine .

or you may have a program to draw for that machine , I think it's easy glass cad / cam .

I'd appreciate the information .

Thank you !

Zoran !