Acrylic Melts Halfway Through Program

Thread: Acrylic Melts Halfway Through Program

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Acrylic Melts Halfway Through Program

Been having trouble getting consistent good edge finishes when cutting acrylic. First time with a CNC Router, 4'x8' - Automation Technologies KL-1325. 1/4" Cast Acrylic.

RPM: 10,000
    Feeds: 50 in/min
    DOC: .01 in
    Bit: 1/8" Onsrud O-Flute Upcut 65-012/65-013
    Cooling: Just simple airblast at the tool

Hold Down: Cutting out of 2'x2' square that has masking on the back. I use 3M Super 77 on the back and put it on a piece of MDF then clamp those to the table.

These are the bit/feeds and speeds ratio that I have come to by trial and error. Sample of a good finish I can get is below:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=359354&stc=1
    The burrs are because I was trying to leave the masking on but left too much. This is the finish I am aiming for.

These settings were giving me really good cuts up until today. Halfway into an ~2 hr long run the chips just started melting and gobbing and the finish went bad, like the photo below:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=359356&stc=1

Once this started happening I couldn't get it working again until I put a fresh sheet on, but it only lasted a few minutes before it starting melting again. Both of the bits I used today were brand new. I know I can finish the edges with sand and polish but the better it can come out of the router the easier post processing, and those inside windows are hard to polish as well. The goal is to get to production level, using 4'x4', we are a getting a vacuum pump this week so hopefully that will help.

I think my hold-down could be better, there is a lot of vibration in the material when I am cutting, was thinking of screwing my spoilboard into the table with t-slots and then adhering the plastic on. It's just strange the finish changed mid-way through my run. I am wondering if it is maintenance of the machine as well. I had no issues running it yesterday when I oiled and cleaned rails, bearings, collet etc. I didn't do this today but maybe I need to apply oil midway through runs?

I've tried many different feeds/speeds this seemed to be the best combination (best chip-load?). I had some success running it at higher RPM and Feed (18000 * 75) for a few minutes and then everything started melting again. I've heard dish-soap and water could act as a good coolant, is that worth a shot?

Current design limitations have me stuck at a 1/8", I am hoping to convince my boss to change design to allow use of a 1/4". Maybe I can run 1/4" for most of the passes and then finish with 1/8" where needed.

Very frustrated, been at this full-time for the last few days, and overall a few weeks trying to get this going.

Any help appreciated.