Newbie Creating angled joints on cast acrylic

Thread: Creating angled joints on cast acrylic

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Creating angled joints on cast acrylic

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue finding the right tool to create a certain angled joint for a part I am making for a dispenser. I am using a 6mm cast acrylic sheet, and a CNC Routing machine (Model: SignKey-1325WDC). I have uploaded a sample that I drew up to be more clear. I am wondering what type of spindle I need to create an angle like this. Thank you for your help.

-J

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creating angled joints on cast acrylic-acrylic-slide-25degrees-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Creating angled joints on cast acrylic

You can profile it with a bullnose cutter in passes, it will need some finishing. If it has to be perfectly flat, can you mount the sheet at the desired angle off the bed for this operation? If so, you can do it in one pass with a normal endmill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As suggested flat end mill with work angled is likely best way to go, both you and your machines accuracy will be tested with sharp edge no matter how you mount this piece.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The surface is not adjustable on my router. However I will try out the bull nose cutter. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads

We make similar cuts in polycarbonate and use a table saw. You can clamp the parts in a dedicated sled and use good high tooth count blades.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doro_jason View Post
    The surface is not adjustable on my router. However I will try out the bull nose cutter. Thank you for all of the suggestions.
    No matter how close you make successive passes, a bullnose is still going to give you scalloped valleys down the length of the cut. If it needs to be flat flat, an endmill is the go but you need to present the material to the cutter at the right angle.

I understand that you can't adjust the bed, not many routers would let you do that (although a 5 axis router would let you pivot the tooling to the correct angle on flat sheet). What you can do is make an angled spoil board or a frame which sits on the bed and to which you may clamp your material so that it presents at the correct angle. If you need it done flat as flat, this is probably the simplest way.

HOLD THE PHONE: There's an easier way! Just use a drill bit. With an included angle of 118º, that's 59º from vertical or 90-59 = 31º from horizontal, which is in your range. And I'll bet you have a 1/4" bit or two kicking around the shop. Just make sure it's sharp.