Need Help! Create cylinder geometry for 3 axis mill

Thread: Create cylinder geometry for 3 axis mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Create cylinder geometry for 3 axis mill

Hello all. Im a newbie to the forum and to gibbscam as well. I need to create a cylinder for stock geometry for the 3 axis mill module. The cylinder is 4.450" long with an OD of 1.830". it has an ID of 1.595". how do i create this geometry for the 3 axis mill module. also, i am machining a slot along the length of the cylinder and will be putting a 60degree chamfer around it and need assistance with profiling the chamfer on the z axis around the slot maintaining a depth of .030". any help will be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Create cylinder geometry for 3 axis mill

Do you have a solid model for you cylinder? If not, then your easiest way is to create a solid model of your part, and then use 3D surface milling, and your chamfer can be programmed to follow the curve of the tube. You will be able to extract the slot geo to mill that out. If you need step by step, let me know. Let me know how accustomed you are to GibbsCam controls as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1armmachinist View Post
    Do you have a solid model for you cylinder? If not, then your easiest way is to create a solid model of your part, and then use 3D surface milling, and your chamfer can be programmed to follow the curve of the tube. You will be able to extract the slot geo to mill that out. If you need step by step, let me know. Let me know how accustomed you are to GibbsCam controls as well.
    Hey. Thabks for the reply. I dont have a solid model for the cylinder. I also dont have to much experience with solid modeling. I have been using gubbscam for a while but basically only 2-2.5d. A step by step wirh creating the solid model if the cylinder would be great. also, how to apply 3d sufacing milling and how to mill to follow the curve of the slot on thw tube. i got through the job by triging out the depth difference and actually programmed the z values in aeound the slot. it worked but not want i want to be doing when it comes to applications like this and i know i will have more of thw same coming up soon. so if u can help me with a step by step it ia greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1armmachinist View Post
    I apologize for the redundant spelling errors in my last message to you. I was in a rush and didnt look over my message. please dont take me as an incompetant baffoon. lol.