Newbie Milling an Oring Groove

Thread: Milling an Oring Groove

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Milling an Oring Groove

I'm very new to this program. I haven't had any formal training nor do I have any training manuals for it. I've watched a couple of videos on youtube and made it ths far. I'm trying to create an oring groove into a flat surface. I've contured the inside and outside of the groove because it has to be a certain width. problem is that when I do a cut part rendering it leads the cut in from the side and exits the side creating two little dimples in the finished product. I've guessed and selected about every solution I can think of. Any ideas? I'll attach the file here if it's that simple to do. Oh yeah, I'm using the 2007 version of the program.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Milling an Oring Groove

I'm not familiar with the 2007 version of gibbscam, but I know there is a box to fill in called "overlap" in the contour process of version 2016 (I know that it's a long shot). Just add half the diameter of the cutter in that box and you should get rid of the entry/exit marks.

If you can't find overlap you can always extend your exit marker the same distance past the end of the cut.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bigums; 02-18-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It did help. I see how that affected it. Is there any way to cut out the area I have inside the boundry area? The groove needs to be .150 wide if memory serves me right. I've got it now using a .125 endmill. Is there any way to cut out all the .150 in one command or am I going to have to have it cut to the outside of the inside line and then cut to the inside of the outside line? Forgive my lack of cnc language.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you post your VNC file? I can't really understand what you're saying because I don't know what kind of machine you are running on or what modules your version of gibbscam is working with.

Odds are, yes you can, but there are different ways of going about doing it.

You should be able to make step over passes in that same operation, but I would suggest taking a pass down the center and doing two passes on the sides as a cleanup. You really just have to play with the info boxes until you get exactly what you want. I tend not to use extra step overs and just use a roughing tile applied to a wrapped rectangular piece of geometry (using radial milling of course) and then cutting as material only. Then coming back with a contour pass on the same rectangle to clean everything up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Click both circle features and select pocket tool path tile not contour. You can play around with step over distance for better looking finish.