Quick GibbsCAM help I hope.

Thread: Quick GibbsCAM help I hope.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Quick GibbsCAM help I hope.

I am self teaching myself this program and I am getting things figured out slowly. One thing I can't seem to figure out. I am opening a solidworks model that contains my finished part for a 2 axis lathe operation. All that is getting done is a bore operation. The actual part has a 1.25. bore through it now. How do I set up my material on a part that is imported to have that start hole? Now the rendering of the turn crashes because it is starting the rough bore operation at 0 and not 1.25.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Quick GibbsCAM help I hope.

If I only have a finished model. I make a copy. Then pull the copy into SW and add stock that roughly matches the raw casting. Once in Gibbs change the proprieties of the solids making one "Part"(finished) and one "Stock"(Raw). It's helpful to make an assembly of the two and orient them so that when you import them into Gibbs they sitting right where you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by AW-Dyno View Post
    I am self teaching myself this program and I am getting things figured out slowly. One thing I can't seem to figure out. I am opening a solidworks model that contains my finished part for a 2 axis lathe operation. All that is getting done is a bore operation. The actual part has a 1.25. bore through it now. How do I set up my material on a part that is imported to have that start hole? Now the rendering of the turn crashes because it is starting the rough bore operation at 0 and not 1.25.

Thanks

"Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response, but how do I make one a "Part" and the other one "Stock"?

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    If I only have a finished model. I make a copy. Then pull the copy into SW and add stock that roughly matches the raw casting. Once in Gibbs change the proprieties of the solids making one "Part"(finished) and one "Stock"(Raw). It's helpful to make an assembly of the two and orient them so that when you import them into Gibbs they sitting right where you want them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok...so I think I found how you make one the part and one the stock. But when I run it, it still starts at x 0.0 and not the 1.25.

I am right clicking on the model and changing the body type from part to stock on the one with the small bore. And making the finished part the part.

Last edited by AW-Dyno; 11-24-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Post your .vnc file or a screen cap of your part and the operation dialog box.

"Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried to make a new work group and set it as stock using a swept shape as your stock outline? You do not have to import the stock as a solid.

Best regards,