Interested in potentially buying one of these. I do repair work and get a fair amount of busted off bolts and drill bits, if welding something to it won't get it out I usually end up digging it out piece by piece with a carbide bit in a high speed dentist-style air drill. EDM seems far more glamorous than sweating over a blind hole with an air drill.
Seller doesn't seem to know too much about it (hasn't used it from what I gathered), workability is questionable but price is right so even if I have to do some fixing/troubleshooting I can afford to. Bear in mind I know very little about EDM's and tap burners/disintegrators, I bought a couple DIY books and was thinking about eventually building one for kicks but at the price this one is going for I would be time ahead to start with a solid base rather than sourcing all the components and building my own.
I guess my main questions are:
- What power requirements does this machine have? What can it output in KVA?
- what would this machine use for cutting fluid?
- how big/how small can this machine go for electrodes/diameters?
- what kind of electrodes would this machine typically use? For disintegrating taps, bolts, drill bits etc is there any distinct advantage/disadvantage of certain types of electrodes?
- Could an extreme DIY'er add a portable head like the newer electro-arc machines have for doing work on-vehicle?
Thanks for the help