Now its time to modify a lathe Splash Guard!
Last week I modified the chip pan on my lathe so it would drain properly, but now I have a problem with coolant spraying on my face and shoes!
So I went to eBay and bid on a piece of White Neoprene Rubber that was 3'x3'x.062"
Then I took the chip guard off the lathe and traced the contour on to a piece of sheet aluminum, and band sawed the arched part to use as a clamp for the rubber!
Then I traced the chip guard contour on to the rubber sheet, and cut it out with a scissor.
Then I clamped the whole mess together to see what it would look like, then I drilled several small holes in the aluminum strip, and tapped them for #6-32 screws. Then I clamped it all together again and drilled the lexan chip guard, and the rubber.
I had a box of #6-32 stainless steel button head screws, left over from another project, that were exactly 3/8" in length! Perfect for this project!
Now I have a nice splash guard for my lathe, and the coolant does not get on my face, even at 2000 RPM! Next project is to add a coolant pump to my mill!