Hey guys, I just finished one of Graham Stabler's digitizing probes and tested it this morning. I have a problem and am not sure where to look for answers.
Techs on the probe.
1. body made from delrin
2. connector strips made from .024" copper sheet (original used p/c plated board, but all I could fins was pre-drilled every .150" or so. I broke two of then and then decided to use the sheet copper.
3. for the ball bearings I used .125" from a bearing I took apart. It looks as if these are chrome, but I can tell.
4. wire is stranded but seems a little heavy guage. Guage???
5. contact pins are drill bits cut to length.
I took my switch I use to set my tool length with Mach2 apart, connected the two leads from the probe and then watched the diagnostics page in mach2 for the switch activation led to toggle as I moved the probe tip. The problem is, sometimes it would light and sometimes it wouldn't. When moving the probe tip in one direction the led would not light at all. I dissambled the probe and used the multimeter to see if I was getting connection in all directions.......I was.
1. Could the heaviness of the compontents I used be causing this intermitence?
2. Did I just build it wrong?
No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.