I did fiddle with this a bit more yesterday. I was able to get it to home correctly and extrude. I was running this off a 24 volt supply though and got only erratic heating in the hot end. Fluctuated wildly. I turned it down to 17 VDC and it heated better. I had Pronterface set to 185 c and it would cycle between 205 and 182. I think it will all work fine once my regular 12 VDC supply gets here.
The motors were very strong @ 24 volts, but seem the same @ 17 vdc. Should run fine @12 too.
Just a word of warning here on the kits. It was likely just an oversite, but my opto's were not completed. They did have shrink wrap for the wires there, but they were not slid forward to the opto and heated. You need to pull back the larger shrink wrap on all these connections and look to insure the wires are covered. Could be very bad on the power or the Z motor pigtail.
The Wade's extruder is giving me fits again. It is poorly designed. The hardware just does not work like you would want. You have to remove and dismantle it to check if you have a clog. Can't really be done on the machine easily. With the supplied hardware, the stepper motor is in the way.
I ordered the Greg's extr. from Colin. That should help some I think.
I am going to get different hardware for the Wade's too. I will thread the plastic in the base to 8/32. Then screw in some long button head cap screws from the motor side into a countersunk hole. Then I will try some wing nuts. Another issue with it I think is there needs to be at least one small hole in the large gear to allow hex wrench access to the two hidden stepper screws.
Finally I think the smooth skate bearing contributes to filament slippage when loading especially. I am going to try to rough up the surface some on one and see if that has any effect.
I'll show some pictures and results when I get to that. It will be sometime next week though.