Looking for 3 tires for an old band saw.

Thread: Looking for 3 tires for an old band saw.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for 3 tires for an old band saw.

My 12 plus year old 10" task force band saw is finally broke, well its not broke the tires on the band wheels are dryrotted.

It looks like this beast isn't made anymore and I can't find tires that will fit it.
    The wheels are 5 7/8 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch wide.

I was thinking of taking an inner tube from a harley or other motorcycle and cutting my own tires.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

You'd probably be better off buying biggerones and cutting them to fit. You could always try your idea first, it's cheaper.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually Woodcraft and Rockler both sell replacement tires that are superior to the rubber/neoprene ones. Both are woodworker supply houses and they are on the internet...I order from both when I'm working with wood.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

woodworker.com has 10" urethane bandsaw tires ... but for $20 each! Scary thing is that the site is one of the cheapest retailers you'll find.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chagrin
    woodworker.com has 10" urethane bandsaw tires ... but for $20 each! Scary thing is that the site is one of the cheapest retailers you'll find.

Do they sell the belts according to diameter or is it belt length?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They go by wheel diameter. Sorry, I misread your original post and thought you had a bandsaw with three 10" wheels (they do exist, but they're a bit rare). I don't believe it's possible to cut a bandsaw tire to use it on a smaller wheel since they essentially act like a rubber band on the wheel.

Understanding what you have now I think your best bet is to take the bandsaw to a nearby cliff or get an OEM part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chagrin
    They go by wheel diameter. Sorry, I misread your original post and thought you had a bandsaw with three 10" wheels (they do exist, but they're a bit rare). I don't believe it's possible to cut a bandsaw tire to use it on a smaller wheel since they essentially act like a rubber band on the wheel.

Understanding what you have now I think your best bet is to take the bandsaw to a nearby cliff or get an OEM part.

Yes I'm starting to think the cliff is the way to go, but its like throwing an old friend away. I scavenge the motor out of it and melt it down and make a rememberance plaque.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update.

Found some belt that work at wallmart. They're hoover vacuum cleaner belts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default way easier, way cheaper

masking tape. Just plain white masking tape. About 8-10 wraps around the circumference of your wheel. I tried this about 15 years ago as a stop gap method while waiting for the new rubber ones I'd ordered to arrive. The new rubber was a pain to install and only lasted a couple of years under daily use.
    I've been back to the tape for ten years.