Problem Cutting Acrylic on a Wood Router

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Acrylic on a Wood Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting Acrylic on a Wood Router

I tried my hand at cutting 3/16" plexiglass last night. I got a porter cable 10 amp router that spins up at 23K or 28K RPM. I used a 10 IPM feed, and 1/4" 2 flute spiral up cut bit.

The material appears to have melted more than cut. I had to use a chisel to get it off the table! After some handy work with a utility knife, I got to a clean enough edge, but there's got to be a better way to work this stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions, bits, feeds, speeds?

Thanks,
    Dean Brock

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Plastic cutting bits are usually straight cutters. No up or down cut. They don't do much rubbing this way. I use 3/16" 2 flute straight cutters made by Onsrud. I cut lexan, which has a higher melting temp. I cut with a feedrate of 80 IPM for tight arcs and 150 for everything else.
    I think with a slow feedrate like you were using, you are componding the heat issue.
    Speed it up if you can. Multiple passes might help too. If you can't speed it up on feed, then slowing the router might help some too. I use a cheap router speed controller on my PC 690 when I need to slow it down.
    The torque falls off with the speed, but then if I make a couple passes, it works great.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Slow your rpm down to 23K, and up your feedrate to about 100ipm. With a 1/4" tool, you'll probably still have trouble due to the chips packing in the cut, unless you can blow compressed air on them to clear them out. You're best bet would probably be to try to rough cut them about 1/32" oversize, remove the surrounding scrap and then run a finishing pass.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Conventional cutting (vs climb cutting) helps too- the chips don't get stuck to each other. I'm milling the stuff at 2.4K rpm (WAY below you) and about 11ipm with an 18mm end mill. Rack the RPM down until you get a steady stream of individual chips coming off the cut then increase it while catching the chips in your hand- you will be able to tell when the chips are getting too hot and this is your optimal cutting speed/ feed. If they come off all gnarly and stuck together you're going too fast.

I know I'm using a mil and you're using a router, but the main reason cutting acrylic or other polymers fail is the spindle being too fast... it melts (and smells lol).

2 flutes are better than 3 or 4 which whak the material too much

I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Downloads
    Uploads

I engrave plexi plates(with v bit) for foundry match plates and end up sitting there with a stick constantly knocking the little blob of plastic off the end of the bit. If not the blob just gets bigger and ruins the letters( usually 1/8 to 1/4 high)
    Dave

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know it's a router, I have a 2 1/4 hp PC on my K2cnc and manufacture a box out of 1.00 cast sheet and I cut .750 deep and I [ food grade mineral oil ] in a squirt bottle, light spray, or silicone spray non flamable. works for me. And if you have a dust exracter, it's even better as to keep it out of your router. and if you not going very deep you can use wax.

9lrac9

Quote Originally Posted by beone View Post
    I engrave plexi plates(with v bit) for foundry match plates and end up sitting there with a stick constantly knocking the little blob of plastic off the end of the bit. If not the blob just gets bigger and ruins the letters( usually 1/8 to 1/4 high)
    Dave
    Try using liquid Dish-Soap mixed with a little water, it washes off easy, and the plastic will never stick to the tool!
    It also makes the finished part more transparent, instead of dull frosted look.
    The nice thin is you don't need a lot, just paint the area prior to machining!

Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Try using liquid Dish-Soap mixed with a little water, it washes off easy, and the plastic will never stick to the tool!

Widgit
    The downside is it leaves a few clean spots in the shop so the really dirty spots stand out more.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post

Widgit
    I will give this a try
    Dave

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgetmaster, You rock!! It never ceases to amaze me how the little things make all the difference. Cut a plexi plate last night and used the soap-- came out beautiful.
    Thanks a million!
    Dave

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to cut plex and have it come out crystal clear like a window use Kerosine for the cutting fluid. An old trick I learned at a Plastics Machine Shop years ago. You will be amazed by the results.

mgranato

I've got some 3/8" cast acrylic to cut with the paper backing, when you guys are talking about the soap/kerosine, are you removing the paper first before cutting or leaving it on? I've just got my CNC, so anything more detailed about this method would be a big help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I leave the protective backing on when I can. If you are just cutting the edges or a profile, I don't think it will hurt anything.
    I get lexan sometimes with paper backing rather than the normal plastic. It holds much better while milling or routing.
    Less chance for chips to scratch the surface.
    I have heard about soap before, but never actually tried it. I might have to to see if it makes a difference in lexan.

Lee

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

kerosine may make the paper mushy but....

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

keep the paper to protect it from scratches. you will be amazed how clear the plex will be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    If you want to cut plex and have it come out crystal clear like a window use Kerosine for the cutting fluid. An old trick I learned at a Plastics Machine Shop years ago. You will be amazed by the results.
    If you go back to the first post it says: " I got a porter cable 10 amp router that.....". This router, like most routers, is a universal motor (I think that is the correct name), a motor with a commutator...that makes sparks...you can see them when the motor is running. Kerosene is flammable, and when heated vaporizes. You could be quite thoroughly amazed if you managed to heat things up enough to create kerosene vapors that got sucked in by the cooling fan on the router and ignited by the sparks in the commutator.

Use soap like Mr Widgit recommends; I have never heard of soap vapors causing an explosion.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Soap is fine but the finish will be frosted not clear. Working with a sparking router that can cause a fire is not safe under ANY circumstances.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Soap is fine but the finish will be frosted not clear. Working with a sparking router that can cause a fire is not safe under ANY circumstances.
    The finish is frosted no matter what you use as a lubricant, once you have washed all traces of the lubricant off. And if you are going to avoid working with a router that has a universal motor because the commutator sparks you will never use it; it is impossible to run a commutator motor without some sparking.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

No you're wrong. If you use Kerosine it comes out chrystal clear like the rest of the material. If you haven't tried it you don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to say I would be leary of using any type of solvent or fuel or oil on plastics. I have experimented with some and it becomes unclear and clear why I shouldn't have done that.

Most of the cuts I make on lexan are then welded with solvent later. They clear up some just from that. Upon second thinking, a lube would be yet another set I would have to wash off.

A torch also works well to clear the edges. They have to be pretty smooth to begin with, but flame licking the edge will make it clear and shine. It like most thing, takes practice to get good at it.
    Too much flame will be self evident.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast