Liquid inlay

Thread: Liquid inlay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Liquid inlay

I have seen somewhere a product that you can pour into an inlay and then sand flat after it cures. I cannot seem to be able to find the product or source of where it could be bought. Can someone please help with this information?

thanks,
    Doug

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I use epoxy that i tint. you can match the color that you want. just make sure that you but a pigment that is compatible with the epoxy. I use black so that it looks like ebony.works great.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    I have seen somewhere a product that you can pour into an inlay and then sand flat after it cures. I cannot seem to be able to find the product or source of where it could be bought. Can someone please help with this information?

thanks,
    Doug
    Hi that stuff is called Inlace and is available in several colors with three different texture additives. Good stuff. Grizzly has it in their guitar and main catalogs. Hope this helps. Speedre

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

JMHO but the stuff looks very cheap. Can't even compare to a real pearl/abalone inlay.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. Just the information I was wanting.

Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Doug

if you add pigment to epoxy would that become epoxy paint? I believe they is used for these pendand

http://www.bico.com.au/gallery/categ...18&offset=24nt.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Liquid inlay-image-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you want to go on the cheap and only primary colors, try latex fabric paint. You can intermix the colors for something different. I also tried dragging colors through each other for a marbled look. I got mine at Wally Mart. It is pretty thick and has a small nozzle on the bottle that some would use to write/paint on fabric. It does shrink a lot while drying so I leave it tall in the recess and sometimes have to add a second coat. I wet sand it and it comes out really nice. I use it to fill names in pens that I engrave on the laser engraver. There is material sold just for this purpose and you can get it at www.laserbits.com Highland Hardware sells a low melting temp metal compound that can be melted in a double boiler and poured into wood. Kinda looks like pewter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doug, Try these two sources, They have what you want from crushed stone (coarse) to crushed stone powder as well as the Inlace metal dust. (Craft Supplies USA at www.woodturnerscatalog.com and www.packardwoodworks.com)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also use crushed mother of pearl and crushed abalone shell. You should use a very high quality epoxy made for this purpose. You can get Hughes Epoxy 330 from Rio Grande and other jewelry suppliers. It is commonly used with crushed turquoise to do 'chip inlay' into silver.

-James Leonard

James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Pour-able 2 part plastics with bronze and/other metallic (or colored) powders from Smooth-On a quick 'google" if interested
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting some very good information.

Thanks,
    Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of the crushed solids. Gives the inlay a lot more depth.

Liquid alone gives a printed-on "decal" look. I was rather disappointed when I tried it for the first time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's another source - Check the craft stores that might have simulated stained glass products - I picked up some "Simulated Liquid Leading" I'll give a try in a few and see how it goes (I'll post a pic if it looks ok) - Looks like a lead inlay on their demo pieces.
    Cheers Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.