HELP with the noise

Thread: HELP with the noise

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HELP with the noise

I have been thinking about purchasing soundproofing blankets to hang on the concrete walls in my basement. Does anyone have any experience with how these work?

I have a 2 1/2 HP Bosch Router and a dust collector attached to my CNC machine located in the basement. When both are running the noise is unbelievable which restricts the time my wife allows me to use it. In addition to that, even with ear plugs, I think I am going to go deaf. I thought about building an enclosure, but I have a small workshop, so I really don't have the room. The walls and floor are bare concrete. Will the blankets absorb much of the sound? Any other ideas?:

Thanks for the help

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by becikeja View Post
    I have been thinking about purchasing soundproofing blankets to hang on the concrete walls in my basement.
    When both are running the noise is unbelievable which restricts the time my wife allows me to use it.
    Cheaper to get a smaller one for the wife

Seriously, the type used around Hydraulic pump systems seems to work well.
    I imagine to do a whole basement would cost $$$.
    I wonder if they could be adapted to a small enclosure around the motor itself without affecting the air flow?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish my workshop took up the entire basement. I just have a 12' X !2' corner. 2 walls are concrete and are dry-wall. I insulated the drywall fairly heavy when I finished out the basement. But left the other ones as bare concrete. Now my ears are paying the price.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up building a shop 20x30 in the back corner of my property, with power, heat , and A/C.... No more sound issues, But I think the blanket idea shouldn't sound so expensive any more.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default noise

I have the same problem with noise. As I understand it most of the router noise is actually from the internal fan. I am thinking of removing the fan and tapping into the dust collector to provide air flow to the router.
    Art Ransom
    www.turningaround.org

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You didn,t say what you basement ceiling is covered with?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So if your ceiling is bare, would probably go with accoustical ceiling tiles and if the door to the basement goes into the house and the door is a hollow door type I would either put the accoustical foam squares to the door or replace with a solid wood door or metal with good weather stripping. Oh yeah and pack insulation above the accoustical tiles.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, hanging heavy blankets will help trap some of the noise. dont forget the ceiling. best bet is an enclosure though!!

~Steve