Help with box wood

Thread: Help with box wood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with box wood

Hi all,

Just like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post and hope i can find the help i need.

Ok, i have a chunk of box wood which is classed as a hardwood and want to skim it down flat on my CNC router.
    I plan on using my 80mm skimming tool but have no idea about feed and speed. Im guessing it will be minimal step downs
    say 0.10 at a time.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated and if you need to know more please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with box wood

Boxwood is an extremely hard and dense wood that machines quite well, holding very high levels of detail. It usually comes in the form of miniature logs. I'm not sure what you mean by a "skimming tool", but if I wanted to make flat boards out of a piece I would use a saw first, splitting the log into two half-cylinders, and then cut those lengthwise into parallel strips. I suppose you could surface them on your CNC router, if you had a way to hold onto them while you're doing that, but it would be quicker if you used a jointer on one side and then a planer on the other.

If you are machining it, I'd think you can take heavier cuts than .10 mm at a time - a whole millimeter shouldn't be a problem, going at 2000 mm/min or so.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]