Would these design stand up to CNCing in hardwood?

Thread: Would these design stand up to CNCing in hardwood?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Would these design stand up to CNCing in hardwood?

Hi all

I'm quite new to CNC, and I have a design that I'm wondering about.

Would anyone be able to have a look and tell me if it looks possible to CNC out of hardwood, or should I use a more traditional box making method?

There's some long and thin 6mm walls which are my main concern. General strength isn't too important after its been cut, as it will be attached to other parts. I'm just wondering whether it will stay still in the machine and not warp...

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would these design stand up to CNCing in hardwood?

A more traditional box-making method would give you a stronger result. The problem with simply cutting a deep pocket out of a board is that while the side walls that run parallel to the long grain of the wood will be strong, the ends that run across it will not; they're just end-grain and subject to chipping away. If you want to do that anyway, I'd suggest doubling the thickness of the end-grain walls.

It is important to hold the material absolutely still when machining it. Warpage is often going to be a factor when dealing with wood, but some species are worse than others in this regard, and wetter wood will warp more than dryer wood.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would these design stand up to CNCing in hardwood?

Thanks for the advice Andrew, much appreciated. I was actually planning to make the ends 16mm. I think I'll probably go ahead and try this out for experimentation, and also make a thinner one in aluminium...