Starting with wood.

Thread: Starting with wood.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Starting with wood.

I have only used my former Fadal for metal milling and are now going to buy a cheap chinese 3040 cnc.

Aus DE! 4 Axis CNC Router 3040 Graviermaschine Gravurmaschine Graviergerät MACH3 | eBay

This is the one I am going to order.
    I want to use it to cut wood signs and figures and maybe some engraving.
    Since I am new to wood milling I have some questions.
    Can I mill any wood ?
    What tools to use for wood with this little machine ?
    Where can I find speed/feed tables that suits this machine ?
    Thanks for helping

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Starting with wood.

Yes, you can mill any wood, but some work better than others. Soft woods tend to cut poorly, leaving lots of "hairs" or torn-out grain on the edges. The harder the wood, the better it tends to cut.

You can use the same sort of endmills to cut wood as you use for aluminum, but once you've used them for metal you can't use them for wood. Get 2-flute rather than 4-flute cutters. Router bits work too. Speeds and feeds need to be down-rated by half or so if you're using one of those machines; they are calculated for routers that are faster and more rigid. Here's some info to start with: The Feeds and Speeds of CNC cutting tools - Woodworking Canada

Invest in a dust collector; these things make a lot of dust, if they work at all.

And be careful on ebay; make sure you can get a full refund if you're not completely satisfied. Don't expect any support from the seller. I doubt that 4th axis is going to be rigid enough to work well, since it's just a chuck on a bearing shaft driven by a rubber belt. And make sure you've got a computer with a native parallel port; it's difficult to add a parallel port that works for CNC.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]