Another Newbie

Thread: Another Newbie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Newbie

Hi all. I've been lurking here for some time while rebuilding an older used and abused Techno Isel 40 x 49 inch router with a Porter Cable 31/4 hp spindle. Finally the router is working correctly and I am able to cut 2 and 2 1/2 D projects very successfully. My main source of consternation is in the 3D world. In my experiments I have been using a v-bit with a .009 stepover at 20 ipm with a 16 ipm plunge rate. Since the router came with a variac instead of the variable speed switch i have been setting the speed to ear which seems to work out fine. Needless to say making anything is a time consuming ordeal. I have aquired some .125 four flute ballnosed bits and some two flute .093 bits and I was wondering where to start out determining feed and plunge rates for cutting old growth maple. Thank You.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This may help; it may not.
    For my general 3-D work, I use a .125" ball end mill (2 flute), with a stepover of 0.010" (about 8% bit dia). Because the stepover is so small, I will let it cut that way up to 1/2" deep. The cutter has flutes up to 1/2", so I might as well use them and not waste time using a larger roughing bit when I do not need to.
    Most of the wood that I cut is Ash, which I believe to be harder than most maple.

I am using a PC 892 router @ 23,000 rpm, and usually cutting at 140 IPM with this setup.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am new to this as well, and have been testing the results of a .25" ball nose bit at .04 stepover in oak at 125ipm. The finished product cuts great but has a lot of ridges that have to be sanded out (time consuming). I have also been testing a .25" flat flute that seems to give me better results. I have noticed that most people in the forum seem to use the ball nose for 3D. How do you prevent the ridges??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow it sure will be slow at those speeds. I use a 30 degree V-cutter with a ..040 flat. Running 40% step over and 125 IPM spindle speed 12000. My 1/8" ball 10% stepover and again 125 IPM 12000 RPM. I use to run at 15000 RPM but was slightly burning the wood and bit would turn black.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by becikeja View Post
    I have noticed that most people in the forum seem to use the ball nose for 3D. How do you prevent the ridges??
    If you don't need the detail, use a larger diameter bit. I cut large curved counter edge mouldings with a 1-1/4" diameter bit, with about .03 stepover, and around 300ipm. Virtually no sanding needed. If you need to use the smaller tool for detail, you need to use a smaller stepover.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the good feedback. My main question is with the plunge setting should it equal the the x/y speed as well or is there a different formula?

Thanks

Sandy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I alway plunge at 50 - 80 % , so if my feed is 125 IPM then my plunge will be 50 - IPM. Remember this is for a ball or v-cutters. for flat endmill I drop it even more.