Calling all exotic wood experts

Thread: Calling all exotic wood experts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Calling all exotic wood experts

I bought a nice chunk of what was supposed to be cocobolo, measures 5x5x12", nice block.
    I was thrilled when I got it, must weigh at least 15 lbs. I know these turning blanks are typically wax coated, this one seemed to have it slopped on like it was literally dipped in wax ,,, And I thought the wood underneath was reddish, turns out that color is due to the wax.

Anyhow, I didn't know that yet. Very excitedly, I sliced 1/2" off the blank, and the first thing that struck me is it looks exactly like bocote. I am no stranger to bocote, I have half a dozen various size slabs of the stuff laying around and am constantly using it. This stuff looks exactly like bocote to me, which is very distinctive to say the least.
    Don't get me wrong, I am madly in love with bocote, but obviously not what I was expecting. Have only worked with cocobolo a scant few times, it tough to find and super expensive, so I can't say I know a whole lot about the species. I did fine some real nice thin cuts years back and made and sold dozens of guitar pick guards with it, I don't recall it having much in common with bocote.

Now that is bad enough, this may be even worse - You see the nasty orange area ? That is NOT natural, it feels slimy and moist. You can see it along the entire edge of the cut piece, though it is most prominent in that one area. So the block is contaminated in my opinion, from this guy saturating it with this slimy red dyed wax.

I got this on ebay, paid $150 for it. I know it is contaminated and that is enough for me to demand a refund or a substantial partial refund if I keep it. But I'd like to see what the consensus is of the species, I am 90% sure this is not cocobolo but bocote.

1st pic shows the slab the way I first saw it, coated in red wax.
    2nd pic shows the cut and the nasty orangish contamination.
    3rd pic shows a little slab of bocote laying on the block, is a little darker but if it was cut, grain would be almost identical.
    Last pic shows just a few of the other bocote slabs I have.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling all exotic wood experts-img_1333-jpg   Calling all exotic wood experts-img_1334-jpg   Calling all exotic wood experts-img_1335-jpg   Calling all exotic wood experts-img_1336-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Calling all exotic wood experts

All I know about exotic woods is what a friend told me many years ago as he was getting into knife making. He said "Steve, whatever you do, don't do an internet search for exotic woods!" Hahaha probably good advice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure about that, I've had many good deals on exotic woods from the internet.
    As far as trying to glean accurate info, that can be as dicey on woods as anything else.

Downloads
    Uploads

To me it looks nothing like it I have over the years lots of of cuts various pieces from sap wood to heat wood I don't see it here.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's hard to identify wood based on its appearance alone. Cocobolo (and other members of the rosewood family) vary a lot in color. But other factors should help you figure out what you've got. If you know what these woods smell like, that can differentiate them; Cocobolo has a spicy scent (that can cause severe reactions) while Bocote smells more like dill pickles. Also, Bocote is lighter; it should float in water while Cocobolo will sink. Here's a reference for you: Cocobolo | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

I have no idea what that orange stain is, but I doubt it's caused by wax.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It's hard to identify wood based on its appearance alone. Cocobolo (and other members of the rosewood family) vary a lot in color. But other factors should help you figure out what you've got. If you know what these woods smell like, that can differentiate them; Cocobolo has a spicy scent (that can cause severe reactions) while Bocote smells more like dill pickles. Also, Bocote is lighter; it should float in water while Cocobolo will sink. Here's a reference for you: Cocobolo | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

I have no idea what that orange stain is, but I doubt it's caused by wax.
    I agree with Andrew - I've bought a fair amount of Cocobolo and enough Bocote (guitar back/sides and lumber for both) to say he's right on the smell and weight. The Cocobolo I have is very distinctive and red like the wax was on your billet. Bocote is a great wood but I would be disappointed, as well, if I bought 'Cocobolo' and it turned out to be something else entirely.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to use Cocobolo for handles on push sticks when we produced those.
    Some of it did have some lighter streaks in it, but was predominantly redish. Nice smelling material.
    With wood though, it comes from a living thing and is susceptible to disease, insects, genetic abnormalities etc just like everything living.
    It is not uncommon to see different colors. You may have a really rare chunk of coco, but I would be more inclined to think that it is indeed something else.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I took it to a woodcraft store, those guys have alot of exotics go through their hands and I figured they'd know.

Both guys at first were ready to bet their lives it was bocote ,,,, But after browsing through their species database on a computer, they found a pic of coco with very similar grain and color, after they they weren't so sure.

So I dunno, guess I'll live with it and see what happens. They guy who sold it to me swears up and down it coco, says he has paperwork all the way back to orgin, and says its not unusual for this wood to change hues when cut. Says the wax is clear ,,, So apparently it is red on the outside, tan on the inside and turns orange when cut - 2 months down the road, who knows ?

Just hope this block doesn't massively crack, probably will.

Edit: My bad, I forgot that I didn't post the pic of the day after ,,, Within 14 hours it turned a lurid pumpkin orange. I've dealt with alot of exotics, have never seen anything change hue this quick or this dramatically.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling all exotic wood experts-crap-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got some bocote and cocbolo that never changed colour like that!

Baffling!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!