Anyone have any suggestions for moving a CNC Router?

Thread: Anyone have any suggestions for moving a CNC Router?

Default Anyone have any suggestions for moving a CNC Router?

I am strongly considering trying to find a way to bring an OMNI 1325 into my house through a 31 inch doorway. I will be removing the gantry first. Does anyone have any suggestions about how this could be done? The machine weights 2 tons so I am sure so sort of rigging will be necessary.

Jamie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone have any suggestions for moving a CNC Router?

2 tons? Is your floor really up to that? Have you considered building a shed for it at ground level, with a big enough door and a reinforced concrete floor?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    2 tons? Is your floor really up to that? Have you considered building a shed for it at ground level, with a big enough door and a reinforced concrete floor?
    Yes the floors are concrete in this room which should take the weight just fine. It really is just a question as to whether or not I can get it through the door (and back out again if need be). Building a shed is not an option because I am renting this house. I will need to get it inside safely without damaging the house but that's a given anyways.

It sounds a little crazy but I would rather have the full omni 1325 machine than a 4x8 crp cnc kit for the same price, and as long as it can be done safely I don't see why not to.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone have any suggestions for moving a CNC Router?

Hi.......removing the gantry will reduce it to a flat package and that can be "enticed" to go through the doorway on it's side if you built a crude form of railway using 2X4 wood rails and a wooden trolley to bring it in from outside.

Manhandling 2 tons of oversize dead weight would need quite a few strong guys and with a door way of only 31" they wouldn't be able to all pass through side by side in two's etc.

Even an engine crane, lifting and shoving in stages, would be hard pressed to handle that much weight, but down at ground level on a trolley it would be easier.

Depending on the cost, you could always get the rental owner to allow you to install a double sliding door in place of the single 31" door......it has to come outside again you said.

A long shot would be a gantry type of double A frame as used to do engine lifts, but with a longer top cross bar fitted with a crawler for a chain hoist.

This would allow you to move the bottom half of the machine on it's side in short hops, (with less damage potential too), repositioning the gantry for the next move etc......with that method you could achieve the move single handed, and a self built gantry with square steel tubing would not cost the Earth, and you could dismantle it and store it for next time.
    Ian.