Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

I still can't see the photos....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Very interesting thread; I’ve been thinking of making a clock myself and did a simple cog as a test with my cnc router. The cog came out spot on but it is only cut from 6mm MDF.
    I have a question to anyone who has completed a wooden clock; does it keep good time?

I have attached a couple of pictures of the cog I made and added a video to wet the appetite of new cnc builders. I used a 6.3mm and 2mm cutter in the vid.

John

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIns3qbibc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IIns3qbibc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Clock Gears-2-jpg   Wooden Clock Gears-4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The pendulum and escapement will determine the accuracy of the clock. Clock gears are always 100% accurate for timekeeping. The weight of wooden gears will make the escapement less efficient since there is more mass that needs to be started and stopped on each tick. This might affect the accuracy.

Wood should make a relatively accurate pendulum since it has low thermal expansion. It needs to be sealed to keep the humidity from affecting the length, although most expansion will be in the width rather than the length.

btw: nice looking gear.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    I looked at the carvewright first, but it's too restrictive and limits one's experience with CNC. I only see that machine to be somewhat useful for maybe hobbiests but nothing more. Some of the DIY designs on the zone could be built for cheaper or the same price and produce commercial grade results.
    The right tool for the right job.

The CarveWright is only limited by the knowledge of the user. It's very useful, and many professional shops are using it now (they've shipped over 5,000 machines).

There are no DIY designs on the zone that can be built for the price of the CarveWright (Sears is selling it under the Craftsman name as the Compucarve, and it's on sale occasionally (like right now, again) for $1699 to Craftsman Club members) anywhere on the zone with new parts ... and, when you consider that the CarveWright / Compucarve machine comes with a warranty, well ... it can't be matched here.

Not slamming other machines, but correcting some misinformation I keep seeing posted about the Compucarve machines.

And I can build a CNC machine with the Compucarve, if I need to go that route.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

TonyWood,
    The dxf files you offered won't open with TurboCAD LE. I get a File format error-Line 0.

Does anyone know how I can get around this error?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    The right tool for the right job.

The CarveWright is only limited by the knowledge of the user. It's very useful, and many professional shops are using it now (they've shipped over 5,000 machines).

There are no DIY designs on the zone that can be built for the price of the CarveWright (Sears is selling it under the Craftsman name as the Compucarve, and it's on sale occasionally (like right now, again) for $1699 to Craftsman Club members) anywhere on the zone with new parts ... and, when you consider that the CarveWright / Compucarve machine comes with a warranty, well ... it can't be matched here.

Not slamming other machines, but correcting some misinformation I keep seeing posted about the Compucarve machines.

And I can build a CNC machine with the Compucarve, if I need to go that route.

Your pal,
    Meat.
    Thats what is great about diy cnc, you never need a warranty, when you build it yourself.

The CarveWright looks like an expensive novelty item.

I doubt it supports g-code.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    TonyWood,
    The dxf files you offered won't open with TurboCAD LE. I get a File format error-Line 0.

Does anyone know how I can get around this error?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Try the .dxf converter from www.a9tech.com

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    The CarveWright looks like an expensive novelty item.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. It's really easy to slam a product or service on the internet when you can do it anonymously, isn't it?

Your pal,
    Meat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meat View Post
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. It's really easy to slam a product or service on the internet when you can do it anonymously, isn't it?

Your pal,
    Meat.
    Nah, it's just a toy.

I bet the folks that posted all the negative feedback about the carvescrap over on the sears site didn't know what they were talking about.

Leasons Learned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Nah, it's just a toy.

I bet the folks that posted all the negative feedback about the carvescrap over on the sears site didn't know what they were talking about.
    Ah, I see. I don't know what a 'carvescrap' is, so we're obviously talking about two different things. I don't know what toy you're speaking of, but I'm sure that you're just envious of the other children in your neighborhood. I hope that one day you get what you want from Santa, and that your parents let you wear big boy pants when you start attending preschool. Maybe then you'll learn how not to be a troll fishing for a fight.

Your pal,
    Meat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think we are all entitled to our own opinions and should leave it at that.

Isn’t this thread about wooden clocks?

www.cnckitsandbits.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Well Said

CNCKits and Bits

I'm with you, I am on here to learn, not to put other people down, if you want to do that we a private e-mail you can use.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Im building my 2nd machine soon (Read: Within the next month) and I definately want to make one of these wooden clocks as soon as its done. They're so cool. Does anyone have a link to software that will calculate gear teeth and ratio's so you can design your own mechanisms?

I'd like to make one for the place Im working in now and carve their logo into it.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

The original link I posted for Gary's wooden clocks :

http://www.pathcom.com/~u1068740/animations.html

has a bit of info that might be of help. He was nice enough to have the plans available on his site for free for his clocks, in DXF format !!!... ready for CNC

I am choosing the lazy option and am going to use his plans, though I seem to be obsessed with making these darn CNC machines and not actually using them to cut anything, might have to change that...

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you guys checked out these oldy but a goody threads http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...clock+balsaman
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...clock+balsaman
    Back in the days when we were proud to have 2000 members.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have now, is there anything Balsaman cannot do ???

Never saw Superman build a clock with a CNC machine heh

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Supply

I have just started my build and got a board (kit) from Hobby CNC and found a power suppl at a great deal at http;//wwwcnczone.com/cncstorehtm - those of you just starting you build might want to check this out.
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default clock infro.

If you want to know how to build your own clock, go to Mark Headricks web page and he has all the infromation you will ever need.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    ...though I seem to be obsessed with making these darn CNC machines and not actually using them to cut anything, might have to change that...
    Russell.
    lol....You took the words out of my mouth!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast