Wooden Clock Gears

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Clock Gears

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden Clock Gears

First post and I would like to build clocks with wooden gears as a hobby. From what I have read a CNC router system should be able to do this. The gears would range in diameter from 1" to 24" by .25" to 1" deep. My budget is up to $3000.

What type of a system would you recommend? What software would be best?

Thanks
    Wally

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to the zone Wally, I intend to use my router to make wooden clocks as well, I assume you have visited this site :

http://www.pathcom.com/~u1068740/index.html

If not, I highly recommend a visit, nothing like free plans to speed things along...Gary even has the plans in DWF format, ready to "feed" a CNC router. (after converting to G-code of course)

I would suggest reading through the info on this site, there is an overwhelming amount, but there are a lot of helpful (and damn clever) people that will help you if they can.

Read through the wood router build log's, most machine's there will do the kind of work you are interested in, just have to build to suit size requirements.

As for software, TurboCNC is a free download and works well, and it runs on DOS, so pull out that old PC covered in dust and fire it up!!!

Joe's build is pretty sweet, if you have the time, have a look here :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139

I believe he is making kits and has a lot of happy customers, well worth a look.

Good luck, and if you build, make sure you post a build log so we can see your progress and help out where possible.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Info on Wooden Clock Gears

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I haven't had time to browse the great info you sent me yet. But I will check it all out and I will probaly have more questions later.

Thanks so Much

Wally

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you considered buying/using a laser? A 40 to 50 watt Co2 laser would be more than capable of cutting the 1/4" gears very cleanly! I'm not so sure once you go over the 1/2" thickness, we use lasers at work for cutting everything from paintmask decals to rubber gaskets.
    I would suggest you check out the cheap laser posts to see what's the latest from those guys, I believe they were talking around the $1400 for a small 40 watt unit from China ... delivered? (not sure, its been a while since I read the original posts).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have also been looking for a machine to cut gears for wooden clocks, the largest gear I want to cut is 12 inches or less. I had some cut and they looked burnt on the sides, so I'm looking into a small router to do them myself.
    If you know of plans for a 12 X 12 or near this size, please let me know,
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked around at various machines and I decided to purchase the CarveWright machine from Sears ( www.carvewright.com ). I talked with the support people and they said it should do a nice job. It will not read CAD files yet, but a new version of the software will include this feature later next year. You can convert them to Bitmap files and import them that way. It can do gears up to 14.5" diameter.

I haven't received it yet, but it should arrive in a day or two.

Wally

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was told that they are out of stock, I would like to look at one , what is the cost of one of these?
    San

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Around $2,000.00

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wallyign View Post
    You can convert them to Bitmap files and import them that way.
    I'd think that converting a CAD drawing to a bitmap and then cutting out the parts would result in poor accuracy and scaling problems. I'd like to know how that works out.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine at sears for $ 1705.00 plus tax US Funds. They have stock at the present time.

You are right about scaling problems with converting to Bitmap files, but I am still working on it. Hopefully it won't be long before the new software release is released.

Wally

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at the carvewright first, but it's too restrictive and limits one's experience with CNC. I only see that machine to be somewhat useful for maybe hobbiests but nothing more. Some of the DIY designs on the zone could be built for cheaper or the same price and produce commercial grade results. Joe's which I'm building now is a prime example . Either way welcome to the zone and I hope you have fun with your new toy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is method in my madness. My 38 year old son and my 40 year old daughter are getting interested in the CarveWright. I thought they could play with it along with me and when I wanted to expand my capabilities I could built a CNC. My daughter is very creative but lacks the Patience to program a CNC, but I think she would do good with the CarveWright.

I am sure we will all have fun with it.

Wally

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clock gears by scrollsaw

I always felt that when building my wooden clocks it would be cheating to automate that process so I used a scroll saw to make the gears. Most of them came out really nice and worked well. They almost looked like they had been cut out by CNC. It saved me a lot of money. Now that I'm here at CNCZone, guess my options/philosophy will begin to change.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden Clock Gears

Quote Originally Posted by davewillen View Post
    I always felt that when building my wooden clocks it would be cheating to automate that process so I used a scroll saw to make the gears. Most of them came out really nice and worked well. They almost looked like they had been cut out by CNC. It saved me a lot of money. Now that I'm here at CNCZone, guess my options/philosophy will begin to change.

Dave
    Dave
    Welcome to the CNCZone there are lots of interesting things here. I am in the last stages of building a CNC and it is my thought to build a wooden clock. It is very intesting to me. Which plans did you use?

Regards

Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

I always felt that when building my wooden clocks it would be cheating to automate that process so I used a scroll saw to make the gears. Dave
    Lol having made a router and started looking at now making a wooden clock, I think it would have been cheating to use a scroll saw hehe

Any pics of the finished clock ?

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC beats the tedium of scrollsawing

By jove I think you might be right. There may be some pictures on my website. But, possibly only one. I've built about five of them. Once I got the gear patterns, I just kept making clocks based on them. I'm into Intarsia and inlay now and thought CNC would really work nifty for them. I'm doing the research now on building a machine myself.
    Thanks for the response. I'm fairly new to all of this, so the knowledge that you folks are out there really helps.
    Dave

Dave
    From Bouse, AZ, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice Web Site and Wooden Clocks

By jove I think you might be right. There may be some pictures on my website. But, possibly only one. I've built about five of them. Once I got the gear patterns, I just kept making clocks based on them. I'm into Intarsia and inlay now and thought CNC would really work nifty for them. I'm doing the research now on building a machine myself.
    Thanks for the response. I'm fairly new to all of this, so the knowledge that you folks are out there really helps.
    Dave
    Hey I checked out your web site and like thoes clocks, very creative. How accurate are they or are they just just to admire?

When you say you got the gear pattern, and made clocks, did you vari the design and just kep the gears the same?

Thats just the type I want to make. How much were the plans?

Thanks dave

Hager
    Tucson AZ

Downloads
    Uploads

If you like inlay and intarsia type work then definately look at making yourself a CNC router, the accuracy these machines achieve is amazing. I made mine with basic tools and limited budget but the results I am getting are better than I expected or even hoped for.

You will be addicted to this stuff in no time... welcome.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Hey I checked out your web site and like thoes clocks, very creative. How accurate are they or are they just just to admire?

When you say you got the gear pattern, and made clocks, did you vari the design and just kep the gears the same?

Thats just the type I want to make. How much were the plans?

Thanks dave

Hager
    Tucson AZ
    There are several websites for clock plans. A place to start would be a link to many sites. http://wooden-clockworks.com/Link.html Try Mark Headrick's pages in that list, also Gary's wooden clocks. There's enough in that list to keep you busy for about a year. It also leads to sites where they sell the plans. There are also plans you can download for free in DFX or DRW format. http://www.pathcom.com/~u1068740/dow...ale-clock.html
    Hope that helps a little. At least something to get you started. That download is probably the one you will want for CNC cutting.
    Dave

Dave
    From Bouse, AZ, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    If you like inlay and intarsia type work then definately look at making yourself a CNC router, the accuracy these machines achieve is amazing. I made mine with basic tools and limited budget but the results I am getting are better than I expected or even hoped for.

You will be addicted to this stuff in no time... welcome.

Russell.
    How inexpensive were you able to be? And what kind of components did you use to build your machine? I'm retired and poor, so am looking for something inexpensive. Do you have pictures?
    Dave

Dave
    From Bouse, AZ, USA

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast