Wooden Clock Gears - Page 14

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Clock Gears

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gingernut View Post
    My newest clock, the Quartus,is available as a complete kit, it runs for 2 1/2 days on one winding, for further details please take a look.
    Wooden Clock plans and gears for scrollsaw and CNC
    Thanks for the picture, any chance of sharing a video? I love to hear these tick.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mr Chips
    Take a look on the website, for each clock there is a video, and of course lots of ticks and tocks.
    Wooden Clock plans and gears for scrollsaw and CNCs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm putting this message in the right thread. I'm a experienced woodworker looking to move to making wooden clocks. I have access to CNC to cut the gears. Looking for advise/source for small router bits - looks to me that 1/16", with about a 1/2" cut length, router bits are needed to maintain the gear profiles. Comments/sources are welcomed. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden & Acrylic Gears on CarveWright

This is a replica (in progress) of an Ancient Greek Calculator created by CarveWright Forum member JLT.

Quote Originally Posted by JLT
    Made of commercially available cast acrylic, birch plywood, and K&S brass tubing. The CW performed admirably on the gears with the 1/16" cutting bit. For instance, the large wheel with the spokes is 223 teeth and approximately 11" across, and was cut with two (2) passes for a total of 1/4" deep, without nipping one tooth on the second pass(!).

Sales & Marketing Manager for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys:

For those that hate spoking.. HEres a video of Gearotic Motions new Spoking facility.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQFG5h9taQ"]YouTube - Spokes.avi[/nomedia]

Art
    Gearotic Motion

www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys:

For those that hate spoking.. Heres a video of Gearotic Motions new Spoking facility.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQFG5h9taQ"]YouTube - Spokes.avi[/nomedia]

Art
    Gearotic Motion

www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty awesome! Will it be available soon, and does it need to be purchased separately? Been playing with the program for a while now, one of the coolest I've got!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi:

Its online now in the development version. There is no charge for this upgrade. ( OR any upgrade. )

Art

www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All
    I have at last managed to finish my new clock the Quintus, which is available as a complete kit as well as DXF plans. It is an electromagnetically powered clock so no winding, it also only needs a 9v block battery so also no lead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice clock..

For those interested in a tutorial on clockmaking and escapements..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzYQOTOtVIQ]Escapements - YouTube

Thx
    Art

www.gearotic.com
    Art Fenerty

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Made these on my Black Toe, look a like CNC

Hope you like it.............
    and yes, I can cut gears with mine.
    Also there are TWO clocks......... no tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCtOXiDj_w]Ghost Clock - YouTube

Last edited by gene8522; 11-08-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent job Gene. It's good to see the clocks running. Hope I can be so skilled to make some in the future.
    Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gingernut View Post
    Hello All
    I have at last managed to finish my new clock the Quintus, which is available as a complete kit as well as DXF plans. It is an electromagnetically powered clock so no winding, it also only needs a 9v block battery so also no lead.

This is great work. well done!
    I've been searching for the electromagnetic power unit.
    Did you make it from scratch? Would you mind sharing with us how to make it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New clock website, plans, DXFs for CNCer's

my website, Wooden Gear Clocks by OnTime, now has plans (paper,pdf) for purchase. I also have DXF files for CNCer's that wish to mill their own gears and parts. The plans are available for Nautica. It is a simple clock with nice proportions and is a perfect first project. It gets 2.5 days per winding. I can pre make the weight shell and brass tide indicator but the plan comes with the outline for a wooden indicator if you wish. It is a beautiful clock with a beatiful tick-tock! have a look, more plans to follow for my other clocks.

Nautica Wooden Gear Clock Plans

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to this site - electromagnetic pendulum clocks

I'm fine-tuning this electromagnetic pendulum clock design of mine. Someone asked about drive electronics - let me know if you're interested in mine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Clock Gears-mysteryclock-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I'm fine-tuning this electromagnetic pendulum clock design of mine. Someone asked about drive electronics - let me know if you're interested in mine.
    OK I'm interested.

Did you scratch build? If so could you share build details or drawings.

Thanks

Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

You can find the circuit and description here: http://carveshop.com/stuff/Electroma...%20Circuit.pdf

As I explain in the document, I saw the one- and two-transistor circuits on the web and tried one, but I couldn't get it to work reliably. So I designed my own using op amps. A nice feature of this circuit is that you can set the pulse width with a resistor to tune to your application. I have gotten circuit boards made up. Let me know if you would be interested in one.

The clock is scratch-built using a CarveWright machine and Designer software, although I certainly got ideas from other existing designs. I also used JLT's excellent gear designer software (Radial Vector Generator...). I don't have drawings other than the CarveWright project files.

I am preparing to put the project into the CarveWight Pattern Store. When that is completed, you will be able to download and preview the project files and build instructions no charge. There are lots of pictures, which may be helpful even if you don't own a CarveWright or download the Designer software.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wooden Clock Gears-s6304612-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Been experimenting with the eletromagnetic drive. Turns out that in addition to adjusting the effective pendulum length, the period of the pendulum is influenced by the distance between coil and magnet, the timing of the pulse, and the pulse width. This may have seemed obvious to some of you, but it wasn't to me. I expected the angle of displacement to be influenced, but not the period so much. Also, the change in period is opposite that which the free pendulum equations predict.

I'm running a prototype drive with a microcontroller where I can set the timing and duration of the pulse into the coil as needed. Using the microcontroller's watch crystal as a reference, I'm comparing the pendulum's timekeeping to the reference, and speeding up or slowing down the pendulum accordingly. So far, this keeps the clock accurate to the reference within a few seconds per day. But this small error does not accumulate - I should be able to keep it withing a few seconds of the reference over a week, month, even a year.

I'm not aware of similar work by others, but if you spot it somewhere, please let me know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Read through about a 3rd of this thread so far.. (lots of links now dead).. and gotta say, I want to try this out too..

I've been wanting to make something with my CNC for the big wall in the living room behind my couch, and struggling with what to make... I just 'might' make a giant clock art piece... Lot of nice stuff in this thread... Will maybe come up with a couple smaller original clocks of my own to sell at fairs and on line as well...

So great! Another thing to take up time I don't have!...
    Can never have too much of those!

Oh, and I'm building a clock shop for a client right now...
    An elderly gentleman that likes to restore old clocks as a hobby...
    He's gonna be excited about what I found....

[URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/124543-mountaincrafts_router_plasma_build_thread.html"][U]4' x 8' CNC Wood Router Project[/U][/URL]
    [U][URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking/135576-home_made_drum_sander.html"]Home Made Drum Sander Project[/URL][/U]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default material ?

What are you builders using for the larger cogs ? I have bucket loads of hardwood flooring. Glue pieces together ? Cast acrylic should work well? I don't enjoy cutting MDF.

I watched the Gearotic video and t looks outstanding but for a first clock buying proven dxf files (g-code files would also be welcome) seems the easy route.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast