What material for this Zeppelin?

Thread: What material for this Zeppelin?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What material for this Zeppelin?

I'm looking at having this project cut out of a thin wood, I'm just not sure what the best type to use would be. Also, do you think this would be better cut on a laser, CNC, or router system?

The images below show it made out of hand cut card stock. I need something a lot sturdier, but still light weight.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What material for this Zeppelin?-zeprings-jpg   What material for this Zeppelin?-zepparts-jpg   What material for this Zeppelin?-zep1-jpg   What material for this Zeppelin?-zep2-jpg  

What material for this Zeppelin?-zep3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Col. Hajj,

Cool looking project! Not so sure of a construction material though. Balsa wood? It's used for many model projects.

Whatever you do decide to constuct it out of, don't fill it with hydrogen! Oh the humanity!!!

Randy,

I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I'm looking at having this project cut out of a thin wood, I'm just not sure what the best type to use would be. Also, do you think this would be better cut on a laser, CNC, or router system?

The images below show it made out of hand cut card stock. I need something a lot sturdier, but still light weight.
    I don't see any reason why the parts couldn't be cut from Depron foam or liteply hobby plywood on a CNC wood router. The formers and longerons could be notched so that the parts interlock. The most difficult and time consuming part will be drawing each of the parts in a CAD program. To ease construction, design it in two halves that can be assembled on a flat surface, then glue the two halves together for the final shape.

If you have the CAD drawing file(s), then most of the work is already done. What is left is generating the gcode to run the CNC router machine testing it, and cutting the material you choose to make it from.

If you want a larger version to fly, make the parts from Rhoacell foam and fill it with helium. It's going to be interesting figuring out a way to make a gas tight skin for it though. There is no doubt that it would get the DIYholic seal of approval.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

This would be a perfect job for a laser. I have a friend with one. You would need CAD files for any method.

PM me if would like his contact info... He could likely help you with material choices as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice job

How about posting the .dxf of this so all may benefit? Thanks. Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 10' rigid airship frame

Start here and see what others are doing; 10' rigid airship frame - Page 6 - RC Groups

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't make it out of Led. Balsa is your best. Do you have a laser machine available?

Wayne Hill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try using bamboo skewers for the longerons.

These are found in grocery stores and normally used to make kabobs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the replies and info guys, I'll look into each of them.

I did not design this, so I can't freely post the plans. However, the guy that did designed it in AutoCAD 2002, so the CAD files are done and I do have permission to have one made.

This zeppelin is not intended to fly, it is for gaming purposes only. So no need to be air tight. Just light enough and strong enough to be transported and moved around.

Also, it is right around 3'9", so the longerons are quite long... I don't have the exact measurements right here, but some where in the neighborhood of 38".

I have also thought about the Depron foam route as well. I'll have to look more into what size sheets are out there. The current CAD files are designed for a thickness of only 1/16 of an inch (the notches anyways). Anyone know a good source for it or the liteply hobby plywood?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the replies and info guys, I'll look into each of them.

I did not design this, so I can't freely post the plans. However, the guy that did designed it in AutoCAD 2002, so the CAD files are done and I do have permission to have one made.

This zeppelin is not intended to fly, it is for gaming purposes only. So no need to be air tight. Just light enough and strong enough to be transported and moved around.

Also, it is right around 3'9", so the longerons are quite long... I don't have the exact measurements right here, but some where in the neighborhood of 38".

I have also thought about the Depron foam route as well. I'll have to look more into what size sheets are out there. The current CAD files are designed for a thickness of only 1/16 of an inch (the notches anyways). Anyone know a good source for it or the liteply hobby plywood?
    A year ago my former employer was having a hard time finding a source due to a shortage of it, but it may be better now. I haven't checked on it since then. It is still in high demand I'm sure.

For Depron, take a look at the RC Foam site or search on 'Depron sheets' for a lot more links to look at. 1mm and 2mm rolls, 3mm and 6mm sheets.

For Lite Ply, Aircraft Spruce & Specialty has 4' x 8' sheets (shipping cost will be high) Some of the local lumber suppliers have this size or can get it special order.

Hobby People for smaller 12" x 24" sheets (most of the hobby shops and online hobby suppliers have this size in 3mm and 6mm)

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you going to have a glued-on covering, or loose fit? The covering will add to the rigidity, so what seems very flimsy just in the frames will come up very stiff when covered.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll either be covering it in doped tissue or RC plane mylar.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since you have CAD files, why not make a 1/2 mold and make two halves of the body out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, then join them together. Sure beats making all those parts out of wood.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mostly because I did not make the files, so I do not have a 3D version of what it looks like with the skin on it. Also, I have no fiberglass or carbon fiber experience. I think the FB version would weigh more then I'd like and the CF would be to expensive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't let lack of experience stop you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lack of time and work area would stop me long before the lack of experience. lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default laser cut lite-ply rigid airship

Megatech (megatech.com) offers a line of laser cut lite-ply rigid airship display models from 24" to 48". Also, Sig Manufacturing sells a product called "Koverall" that is fairly easy to use, and would look great on an airship model.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the links Cellardoor7. I did not see much info on the Megatech models, but they did have two of them.

The Koverall stuff looks really interesting and I might use it to cover it.