Ideas for turning (or fourth axis on table)

Thread: Ideas for turning (or fourth axis on table)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ideas for turning (or fourth axis on table)

Here's a link for ideas of building a "stand alone" 3 axis CNC turning machine....or adding a fourth axis to your existing router table (if you have adequate Zaxis travel)....

http://www.legacywoodworking.com/

Check out model 200 for ideas of a simple design that could be modified for CNC.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Bloy2004; 04-28-2005 at 10:20 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Legacy mill

On my site, www.turningaround.org , I have the largest collection of tips on the Legacy on the web and links to all other sites we have been able to find. Actually I just joined this group because I want to build a CNC version of the Legacy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sorta

Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004
    Here's a link for ideas of building a "stand alone" 3 axis CNC turning machine....or adding a fourth axis to your existing router table (if you have adequate Zaxis travel)....

http://www.legacywoodworking.com/

Check out model 200 for ideas of a simple design that could be modified for CNC.
    The Legacy mill is a 3-axis capable machine....however it is not CNC and they don't offer a retrofit kit or CNC as an option. At the (insane) prices they ask for these things, IF you wanted a CNC version from them, then I imagine that you could buy a Shopbot 4X8' CNC router with spindle and 4th axis for the same price or less...

The decision to go CNC on a Legacy-type mill is driven by 2 factors: 1) You have more work than you can keep up with on the Legacy and a robotic alternative just makes economic sense and 2) You want to mill non-linear 3D geometry such as a statue or something of that nature.

You could essentially piece together your own a LOT cheaper than the Legacy. If you want to make your own Legacy at a fraction of the price, buy Router magic by Bill Hylton.

-Brady

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Legacy

I already own a Legacy 1800 but need something with a larger capacity. I ordered the book but I will still pursue designing a larger machine. My intention is to use electronic gearing ao a stand alone machine with no PC. The idea is that I use keypad on slave motor to set the pitch and variable speed on master motor to control RPM of turning. Probably use rack and pionion to control router sled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default a little bit more...

Art,
    If you are going as far as to add electronic 'gearing' per se, why not use a PC to make it full CNC? You could still use your electronic gear concept, plus add a whole bunch of additional capabilities to the machine. The PC would also give you thoughtless repeatability by merely calling up a file you already configured...plus enough flexibility to let you take on things that regular Legacy owners only dream of like 3D statues and other parts that you just can't do on a Legacy. It wouldn't take much to add PC control to your already planned for rails and gears. Steppers that can be used for precise CNC control, can also be used effectively as a speed controlled motor as well. Of course I say none of this to discourage you or belittle your creative process....just letting you know of other options.

Just a thought...

-Brady

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Legacy

I will build with the idea of expanding it to full CNC but first I need to learn to crawl. Also I know that I can sell it for more than I spend so I can build the second incorporating the changes. Right now I need to learn more about electronic gearing and pre loaded rack and pinion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cnc Legacy

Little by little I am learning. Gave up on standalone machine and am going it PC based system. I don't realy want to reinvent the wheel co I am looking for plans of CNC router or lathe that I can modify to my needs. Only canidate I have found so far is http://www.inshorepowerboats.com/cnc.../CNCROUTER.htm . At $230 it is not cheap but appears well worth the money. Anyone know anything about it or any other sugestions?

Present machine sernero
    CNC router,CNC lathe and manual lathe combo
    stock size 20" by 10'
    rack and pinion drive
    Mach 3
    2 gantries. One for router other for sanding. A gantries will park at each end an leave work piece acessable for manual turning/hand work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

cnc router/lathe is a wonderful combination. However it is not cheap, and sofware are lacking to do art, ordinary cad is aimed to mechanics and not art.
    I am prototyping a router/lathe which can be converted to cnc, but run whitout the PC as well. The Legacy without motor is just cranking, so whatever you make it has to have at least one motor. It is also that you need very long routerbits to copy on Legacy and the pitch gear syatem is a mess. I will test another solution with unlimmited pitches, ordinary routerbits and to a price far from the overpriced Legacy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default legacy

I run the Legacy discussion group and my site has links to all the sites we have have found on the Web. Also have a bunch of tips in the Legesy section. I have a 1800 that will be for sale shortly because my Evolution Ornimental Mill will be operational. Have started a section on the Evolution.
    www.turningaround.org

Downloads
    Uploads

Have X, Y and Z operational. Ways, head stock and tail stoc installed and finishing the A electronics see http://turningaround.org/4_axis_mill.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Art,
    Looks like you've come a LONG way and taken the plunge!

I think you have a very good foundation for a machine there. You just need to stiffen it up. AL extrusion is a good bolt-on for stiffening things up. The carriage is just too flimsy for the type of work that you are doing. 4pcs of AL extrusion in addition to your cross bars is needed to prevent deflection. Most of your problem with deflection appears to be in the main car & not so much the Z axis.

-Brady

Downloads
    Uploads

Default next machine

I have learned a lot and have all 4 axis running. Started construction of new gantry. I have found the solution for 90% of my design problems. My next machine will be built using the MechMate plans. Modifying base machine to turn 24" by 12' easy to do. Also critical laser cut parts are avaliable at reasonable price. See www.mechmate.com