Hypertherm HD3070 question?

Thread: Hypertherm HD3070 question?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hypertherm HD3070 question?

Hi I'm looking to buy a Hypertherm HD3070 used to work with my home built plasma table. I have already a fabrication shop and i looking to make more parts (welded assembly and construction miscellanous) that I typically send to a laser shop. I'm looking to get better turn around time for small batch run. I have a couple of questions about it.

Am I able to use Bob Campbell Thc with this system or i need a commercial one ?

My other question is about the cost of consumable versus a basic Air plasma, is it more costly to initialy buy and then you save over the long run or you spend only for greater cut quality??

What about all the gases that you need, how much can it cost to get me started ??

I heard that you can also change the torch for a newer one is it worth it and how much does it cost?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Francis

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The 3070 is no longer manufactured....but it is still a very strong high definition class plasma system. There is a torch upgrade available from Hypertherm that allows you to use the new HPR130/260 torch on that machine....better cut quality and longer consumable life are the result.

That system is a high frequency start torch.....so be sure you follow all of the best practices available for hardening your cnc control and electronics ffrom this source of electrical noise.

The system has good consumable life as is...assuming it is operated as designed (follow all the procedures in the Hypertherm manual in regards to gas pressures and flows, cut speeds, arc voltage and pierce height). With the HPR torch it will perform even better.

If you are only cutting carbon steel....you will need oxygen and nitrogen for this system when using the original torch....if you are using the new HPR torch.....you will use oxygen as the plasma gas and clean/dry compressed air as the shield gas.

You can download a manual from the www.hypertherm.com website if you need one....be sure you specify whether you have an "auto gas" or "manual gas" system......the auto gas has all digital gas flow controls....while the manual gas version has flowmeters and gauges.

Jim colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks a lot Jim,

I will contact my hypertherm salesman for further pricing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hypertherm HD3070 question?

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The 3070 is no longer manufactured....but it is still a very strong high definition class plasma system. There is a torch upgrade available from Hypertherm that allows you to use the new HPR130/260 torch on that machine....better cut quality and longer consumable life are the result.

That system is a high frequency start torch.....so be sure you follow all of the best practices available for hardening your cnc control and electronics ffrom this source of electrical noise.

The system has good consumable life as is...assuming it is operated as designed (follow all the procedures in the Hypertherm manual in regards to gas pressures and flows, cut speeds, arc voltage and pierce height). With the HPR torch it will perform even better.

If you are only cutting carbon steel....you will need oxygen and nitrogen for this system when using the original torch....if you are using the new HPR torch.....you will use oxygen as the plasma gas and clean/dry compressed air as the shield gas.

You can download a manual from the www.hypertherm.com website if you need one....be sure you specify whether you have an "auto gas" or "manual gas" system......the auto gas has all digital gas flow controls....while the manual gas version has flowmeters and gauges.

Jim colt
    Hi all, (Jim Colt in particularly :-) )

We have recently bought a used plasma, 6x2m table with HD3070 - manual gas and upgraded torch. We are now installing the machine.
    At this point I need to find out:
    1. what is the consumption of O2 and N2? Meaning of flow rate (ipm/scfh) and test flowrates from manual gas console cut chart for upgraded torch?
    2. Is it possible to use air/air or or O2/air, and what would be the parameters for mild steel, 70A and 100A?

We would mostly cut mild steel S235, S275 and S355; 5mm thick and 10mm thick.
    We have an industrial compressor 45kW with suitable dryer. Plenty of air, 5400m2/h, 10bar.

From manual, worst case conditions, delivery of O2 should be 77,8 scfh with 120psi. I estimated that bottle of 8,4kg under 150bar would last 4min of arc time under this conditions. Is it correct? I expect that consumption in operation is 50% of worst case, giving me 8min, which is still rather unusable...

So, for test during installation and maybe even later for production, it would be most convenient to use air for shield, and maybe even for plasma or O2 for plasma and air for shield. From Jim's quote this sounds viable. Is it?

In manuals for HD3070, even for upgraded torch, and Operating Instructions from plasma cutter manufacturer, there are no parameters for air/air for mild steel. How do I choose suitable Amps, travel speed, Torch to work distance...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hypertherm HD3070 question?-wp_20170802_13_34_16_rich-jpg   Hypertherm HD3070 question?-wp_20170802_13_34_31_rich-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

We have recently bought a used plasma, 6x2m table with HD3070 - manual gas and upgraded torch. We are now installing the machine.
    1. what is the consumption of O2 and N2? Meaning of flow rate (ipm/scfh) and test flowrates from manual gas console cut chart for upgraded torch? The gas flow specs are in the upper right corner of the cut charts for the upgrade torch.
    2. Is it possible to use air/air or or O2/air, and what would be the parameters for mild steel, 70A and 100A?The only recommendations are to use the gasses suggested in the cut charts. The use of air as either plasma or shield gas will affect cut quality and consumable life. Since this is an older product and other gas testing has not been done.....I cannot speculate on the exact outcome. It is possible that air may work satisfactorily as a shield gas, assuming it was clean and dry and at the same inlet pressure as the suggestion for nitrogen. I definitely do not recommend air as the plasma gas...this system was designed for cutting steel with oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoj View Post
    Hi all, (Jim Colt in particularly :-) )

1. what is the consumption of O2 and N2? Meaning of flow rate (ipm/scfh) and test flowrates from manual gas console cut chart for upgraded torch? The gas flow specs are in the upper right corner of the cut charts for the upgrade torch.
    2. Is it possible to use air/air or or O2/air, and what would be the parameters for mild steel, 70A and 100A?The only recommendations are to use the gasses suggested in the cut charts. The use of air as either plasma or shield gas will affect cut quality and consumable life. Since this is an older product and other gas testing has not been done.....I cannot speculate on the exact outcome. It is possible that air may work satisfactorily as a shield gas, assuming it was clean and dry and at the same inlet pressure as the suggestion for nitrogen. I definitely do not recommend air as the plasma gas...this system was designed for cutting steel with oxygen.

We would mostly cut mild steel S235, S275 and S355; 5mm thick and 10mm thick.
    We have an industrial compressor 45kW with suitable dryer. Plenty of air, 5400m2/h, 10bar.

From manual, worst case conditions, delivery of O2 should be 77,8 scfh with 120psi. I estimated that bottle of 8,4kg under 150bar would last 4min of arc time under this conditions. Is it correct? I expect that consumption in operation is 50% of worst case, giving me 8min, which is still rather unusable... A standard high pressure cylinder of Oxygen holds about 240 cubic feet. When I do the math I would expect over 200 minutes of arc on time. This system, when used as suggested will cut steel with far better quality and at a lower operating cost as compared to an air plasma system. So, for test during installation and maybe even later for production, it would be most convenient to use air for shield, and maybe even for plasma or O2 for plasma and air for shield. From Jim's quote this sounds viable. Is it?

In manuals for HD3070, even for upgraded torch, and Operating Instructions from plasma cutter manufacturer, there are no parameters for air/air for mild steel. How do I choose suitable Amps, travel speed, Torch to work distance...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, Jim,
    I can't get to 200min, but 43,3min. Usable, compared to what I thought I'd get, 4min :-)

I am relaying on your experience that I should get 200min

To check the math,
    supplier specifies content of the bottle : O2 (8,4 kg, 150 bar)
    and conversion rate: 1 kg = 0,763 m3; 15°C i 98kPa (735,5mm Hg)

8,4kg x 0,763m3 x 1bar = A x 150bar => bottle content (A) = 6,4 / 150 = 0,0427m3 under 150bar

A x 150 = B x 8,3bar (120psi) => (B) bottle content = 0,0427 x 150 / 8,3 = 0,772m3 under 8,3bar

cutflow for plasma O2, 100A, mild steel is 64scfh
    test cutflow flowrates for plasma O2 is 59%
    Consumption flow, arc on (O2 plasma, mild steel, A100) = 59% of 64 scfh = 37,76scfh = 0,01782m2/min

time = volume / flow = 0,772 m3 / 0,01782 m3/min = 43,3 min

Is this OK?

Best Regards