Is there a hobby waterjet like a Wazer? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a hobby waterjet like a Wazer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is there a hobby waterjet like a Wazer?

Through the wood and into the clouds..

Downloads
    Uploads

I measured the output pressure of the Wazer. It is about 3850 PSI. There are pressure washers that have higher output, but perhaps not electric ones which is kind of an important part of the convenience factor of this product. I measured abrasive flow at 0.27 lbs/min. Not too economical given the cutting speeds. Looking at the amount of particle destruction I found that about 85% of the used abrasive has particle sizes roughly equivalent to new abrasive. If cutting metal or stone I wouldn't worry too much about those particles from the kerf causing issues with cutting performance. (If you were worried about that, this isn't the product for you anyway, IMO.)

As far as used abrasive having rounded off corners...assuming that is even a real thing (and there may be some particles that come out sharper than they were originally if they were shattered during use) I doubt you'd see an effect at these pressures. It might vary slightly depending on the material being cut as well. But I've never tried to quantify that effect.

You could probably just put the used abrasive into some pans or something and let it dry out especially if you're a hobbyist and aren't planning to go into production with this thing.

I suspect the consumable wear must be pretty minimal at these pressures so that's a plus.

Downloads
    Uploads

Omax Now have a personal waterjet called the Protomax they are super accurate, with bed size of 12"x12" and can cut up to 1"

Downloads
    Uploads

If you look at the Wazer website you can clearly see it is built with standard pressure washer components. The pump, unloader, fittings, and hose all all 4000psi pressure parts. Based on the power requirements they must be using a 1hp motor, and it looks like it’s geared down to turn the pump half the motor speed.

The big problem with pressure washer parts is the higher pressure (4000psi) ones also have high flow rates around 4.0gpm. For waterjetting you need more pressure and less flow - approximately .5gpm. I started setting up a diy system using a 4000psi pump, 3hp 3ph 1725rpm motor on a vfd, a chain drive with a .20 ratio, and a spare Omax nozzle assembly. I had a .014” orfice and both .030” and .042” mixing tubes. With the larger mixing tube and the pump maxed out to 5200psi (turning about 350rpms) I had decent results. It would pierce 1/8” 6061 aluminum in about 6 seconds and cut reasonably well. All my testing was similar to the YouTube video linked previously - I had the cutter stationary and moved the material by hand. I planned to mount it all on my plasma table, but ended up buying a small Flow Bengal 40,000psi machine before I got that far.

But, I think it’s very plausible to build a DIY machine using the method I was taking and have a useful hobby tool. I think the consumables cost (except garnet) Would be low as the pressure is a factor if 10 lower. If you buy garnet direct from Barton, it’s about $650 for a 2200lb pallet.

Oh, and garnet is amazingly easy to dry out - and completely unclumps when dry.

Here is a quick video of just water flowing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HXAZDmPkDmQ

Last edited by panozeng; 04-11-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12