Is There Any Such Thing As A Hobby Water Jet Cutting Machine?

Thread: Is There Any Such Thing As A Hobby Water Jet Cutting Machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is There Any Such Thing As A Hobby Water Jet Cutting Machine?

I'm just asking because with just about every other type of machine on this forum, someone somewhere has managed to scale down the sizes of the various Manual and CNC machines to suit their needs.

Please, no smart-alec answers. I'm just asking because I don't know the answer. I've searched the internet by entering "Entry Level, Least Expensive and Hobby" Water jets but got nothing but links to the big name brands and the larger online sellers.

I'm looking for something small enough for a Hobby-Shop if such a thing exists.

MetalShavings

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is There Any Such Thing As A Hobby Water Jet Cutting Machine?

Nope.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

WAZER

I don't plan on being a guinea pig by being the first to buy one, and I have my concerns about it, but I will watch it and look for reviews.

Downloads
    Uploads

I mentioned in my original post that I had done internet searches on the subject of "Hobby Water Jets" and how all I got were links to most of the major players. Well, that wasn't completely true. Out of all of those links I did come across that Penn State school project, "Wazer" but. I instinctively wrote that off as still being in the dream-stage for a group of college students trying to impress their professors. Best of luck to them. Many other school projects have been written off as "Pie-In-The-Sky" and have succeeded where no one expected them to. The niche they dream of filling is one that really needs filling. I hope it works out for them; and for me.

Back in my college days I was taught to never buy into the latest gadgets until about the second or third iteration was released. If such a project idea lasted that long there was a higher probability that it had some staying power in the market place.

I'm in no hurry to buy. I'm just looking right now. When I retire I'll be ready. I still have a year and a half before that happens. What really sucks about buying gadgets like this is that no sooner do you get them unpackaged and set up that you find out that someone else has come up with something that better fits your needs; in size, price and ease of use.

Thanks for you prompt replies. I appreciate that.

MetalShavings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen some small like 4x4 work spaces. But there still $50k it's the pump and support gear that cost so dang much.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are simply not going to get the pressures and flow rates necessary from any "hobby" style build, and lets not forget the safety factor the required pressures necessitate.

So as JAKEFREESE points out you can get away with a "hobby" built tank/table, movement, and controller but you aren't going to build your own intensifier.

Any way you look at it, cutting with a water-jet is not a hobby ... unless your hobby is doing maintenance on water-jets.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My buddy had to rebuild the pump on his Flow 60k and it was like $15k to rebuild the pump, new intensifier pump skid was over $30k.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEFREESE View Post
    My buddy had to rebuild the pump on his Flow 60k and it was like $15k to rebuild the pump, new intensifier pump skid was over $30k.

It's beginning to sound as though they are more trouble than they are worth; especially once any warranty has expired. I guess I'll start looking into alternatives for this particular machine. I've got plenty of time right now.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

if i was in your shoes:
    - i would contact some local guys that build 2D skeletons / axis, capable to move as programed ; i just meet some at an exhibitions
    - i would build water tank and grills
    - and now here it comes the expensive part : find someone capable to add the water-jet head

- also, i would start from last point, because it seems harder, and just to know the costs ... if that is done, than rest is no problem ... no problem means " time & money "
    - those students trying to impress that sexy teacher sounds like a good start ... kindly !

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...