Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?

Thread: Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?

Default Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?

Wondering what you guys are using for nozzle splash reduction? After quite a bit of searching, I find the options are pretty limited. The foam ones don't last long, and the rubber ones are pretty expensive for something that you have to every other week, or if you're lucky once a month. After quite a bit of research, I finally decided to start making them myself and have had great results so far.

I beefed up the areas where the wear, and fail points are. My first prototype (not shown), has been running on an 80x machine for 6 days a week, ~10-15 hours a day and so far I've gotten about 5 1/2 months of usage out of it. Could just be luck, but I've never seen more than a months worth of usage out of one of the yellow ones you find for sale everywhere.

Shown below are some production pieces of the final design which will be going on the machines today to see how they fare in the test of time. They are two different materials, so I guess I'll be finding out if one lasts longer than the other.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?-splash-cups-jpg  
    Last edited by Jsn95; 05-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Default Re: Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?

Well, we've been running the orang-ish looking colored one from the first picture for about 4 months straight now on an 80X w/ an EnduroMax pump running just under 50k pressure. One job we ran last week consisted of about 20,000 pierces. We put a new factory yellow cup on the 55100 in the shop here about a month and a half after the WJS cup was put on the 80x, and it looks like the factory cup is getting ready to fail any day now, while the one on the 80x still looks like it's got a lot of run time left in it.

Hoping to try and market these, but not really sure how to go about it or where to offer them. Shown below is our first small batch trial run to test the waters before we invest in a bigger mold to run multiple pieces at a time and start making them in volume.

Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?-wjs-splash-cup-jpg

Well, I'm happy to report the factory splash guard failed today, while the WJS piece continues to serve it's purpose.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in the waterjet section on CNCzone, but I'll post the math anyway now that I've got hard numbers.

WJS cup installed on the 80x machine on 5-15-14, currently this cup has 350.04 hours on it, still going strong, and putting it through hell compared to the 55100
    Factory cup installed on the 55100 machine on 6-10-14, and failed with 287 hours on it.

Math wise both machines run for approximately 70 hours of cutting time a month, the WJS cup has lasted 63.04 hours longer so far, which seems pretty close given the dates they were started.

I will post again when the WJS cup fails with final run time numbers.

We actually just buy toilet plungers at the dollar store. We find the black rubber ones last longest, depending what you're doing we see about 100 hours use from one. Just cut the majority of the threaded portion off and cut a hole to fit your nozzle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made one out of stainless steel....works great...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jsn95 View Post
    Well, I'm happy to report the factory splash guard failed today, while the WJS piece continues to serve it's purpose.

Doesn't seem to be much interest in the waterjet section on CNCzone, but I'll post the math anyway now that I've got hard numbers.

WJS cup installed on the 80x machine on 5-15-14, currently this cup has 350.04 hours on it, still going strong, and putting it through hell compared to the 55100
    Factory cup installed on the 55100 machine on 6-10-14, and failed with 287 hours on it.

Math wise both machines run for approximately 70 hours of cutting time a month, the WJS cup has lasted 63.04 hours longer so far, which seems pretty close given the dates they were started.

I will post again when the WJS cup fails with final run time numbers.
    I would be interested in purchasing some. I can be reached at 971-340-1913.

Thanks,
    Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So you use this instead of the flat rubber one and it keeps the splashes down? I just purchased a machine and learning how to use it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cut this metarial from conveyor band.İts usefull and free..

Waterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?-20160229_092509-jpgWaterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?-20160229_092504-jpgWaterjet nozzle splash guards, what are you using?-20160229_092539-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ran a KMT abrasive waterjet for ten years, and the best thing I ever used was a tennis ball cut in half with a hole drilled through it. If the nozzle came too close to anything, its flexible and won't move the nozzle if it contacts anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jsn95,

What material are you using for your custom splash guard.

We have an 80X and are working to create a mold for our own custom splash guards as well and would love some insight as to your findings with the best materials

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 4ElemOMAX View Post
    Hi Jsn95,

What material are you using for your custom splash guard.

We have an 80X and are working to create a mold for our own custom splash guards as well and would love some insight as to your findings with the best materials
    Hi. I fitted a sink plunger to myn works great.
    I ground the thread off the rubber it slipped over the nozzle nut perfectly...