Need Help! Have $10K, buy or build? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have $10K, buy or build?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    The Z leadscrew needs to be courser and be able to hit 120 to 150 IPM (5 turn gets you to about 120) or your DTHC performance (speed it can move while cutting) will be pretty slow and limit how quickly it can climb up a rise in the metal. Typical Z velocity under THC control is about 30% of the max Z velocity setting.

i don't think there is anything wrong with roller chain if it is tensioned right.

Confirm the shaft sizes for the interface to the mechanics. On the BladeRunner Dragon-Cut,the 620 motors are 3/8 while the 300's are 1/4" both are 23 frame

TOM caudle
    www.candcnc.com
    Thanks TOM i will check and get back to you!

Downloads
    Uploads

PlasmaRoute no longer uses any CandCNC electronics in any of their tables. The THC is not ours and the controllers are wired from parts in their shop. There are other OEMs that do use our stuff (Bulltear included). I don't know when you bought your table and did the training but your electronics are different from what is currently shipping.

TOM caudle
    www.Candcnc.com
    Wasn't my table, but Might have been old stock they used cause one item I saw had the logo on it. didn't pay attention to what was on the shelf though so it could have changed. Thanks for that info. Like to get it as close to right as I can. Now I know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is one that has good support and uses the open source CandCnc stuff. They have good how to videos as well.

Arcpro 9600 4x8 cnc plasma table -

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Here is one that has good support and uses the open source CandCnc stuff. They have good how to videos as well.

Arcpro 9600 4x8 cnc plasma table -

WSS
    Arc Pro 12000 5x10 cnc plasma table -

They are only 300 miles away too! (saves on shipping) This is tough!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

The Z leadscrew needs to be courser and be able to hit 120 to 150 IPM (5 turn gets you to about 120) or your DTHC performance (speed it can move while cutting) will be pretty slow and limit how quickly it can climb up a rise in the metal. Typical Z velocity under THC control is about 30% of the max Z velocity setting.

i don't think there is anything wrong with roller chain if it is tensioned right.

Confirm the shaft sizes for the interface to the mechanics. On the BladeRunner Dragon-Cut,the 620 motors are 3/8 while the 300's are 1/4" both are 23 frame

TOM caudle
    www.candcnc.com
    There Z axis uses a nema 23, but there others are nema 34 and use 1/2" shafts.

Downloads
    Uploads

TOM caudle
    www.candcnc.com
    "-I can do a 5:1 screw for $100 more, but the 2:1 screw that we use normally will run the Z at 150IPM. That’s with Mach3 running at 25KHZ and Geckos set at 10x microstepping. Not sure why you need a 5:1 screw to attain that speed. With a 5:1 on our lifter, we could hit over 500IPM."

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    "-I can do a 5:1 screw for $100 more, but the 2:1 screw that we use normally will run the Z at 150IPM. That’s with Mach3 running at 25KHZ and Geckos set at 10x microstepping. Not sure why you need a 5:1 screw to attain that speed. With a 5:1 on our lifter, we could hit over 500IPM."

leadscrew speed = motor RPM/ Leadscrew TPI

5:1 is finer than 2:1

Most acme thread (single start ) is 10 TPI but can be ordered in 8 or less and can be ordered in 2 start and 5 start . A 10 TPI 2-start = 5TPI . A 10TPI 5 start = 2 TPI

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    There Z axis uses a nema 23, but there others are nema 34 and use 1/2" shafts.
    You won't be able to take advantage of the BladeRunner's lower cost:

You will have to move up to the more expensive Plazpak series with bigger motors that are 34 and have 1/2" shafts and a bigger power supply and larger stepper drivers.

The BladeRunner Dragon-Cut series is engineered to provide excellent performance on gantries weighing up to 100 lbs when using two motors (dual drive) on the gantry and with the high torq 620oz-in 23 frame motors we had specially designed. With a R&P and 1" pinion the optimal belt reduction is 3:1.

TOM caudle
    www.Candcnc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You won't be able to take advantage of the BladeRunner's lower cost:

You will have to move up to the more expensive Plazpak series with bigger motors that are 34 and have 1/2" shafts and a bigger power supply and larger stepper drivers.

The BladeRunner Dragon-Cut series is engineered to provide excellent performance on gantries weighing up to 100 lbs when using two motors (dual drive) on the gantry and with the high torq 620oz-in 23 frame motors we had specially designed. With a R&P and 1" pinion the optimal belt reduction is 3:1.

TOM caudle
    www.Candcnc.com
    "We use 640oz/in motors with 1/2” shafts. As long as the motors are NEMA 34 frame, they will bolt up. The primary drive is L series timing belt. To use 3/8 shafts, you would need 1 15 tooth pulley and 1 10 tooth pulley with 3/8 bore. The Z axis uses a NEMA 23 motor."

I will probably step up to the larger size. Does that have the same great THC, and ability to use integrate itself with the RS485 option that the hypertherm plasma has right? Maybe upgrade to the 960 oz in steppers as well?

If i wanted to add on a tube cutter attachment in the future, id be looking at 5 stepper kit wouldn't I?

Downloads
    Uploads

So far i think its down betweem Arc Pro and Tru Cut.

Going to get final quotes from each of them and see where i stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

Shipping quote from trucut cnc came back and it was $4200 dollars. The shippers were charging premium apparently since the size of the crate (6'x11'). I cant justify spending that kind of cash for shipping alone. They use a third party shipping service who i believe even crates it for them.

It appears the search continues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still looking, now building my own has come back into the picture.. omg! :\

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Curious

Just curious as to what you decided to do. I am hopefully going to go see the arclight table this next month.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dewser View Post
    Just curious as to what you decided to do. I am hopefully going to go see the arclight table this next month.
    Going to see it in person is on my list of things to do. I actually just bought a 2005 C4500 Kodiak with my money for moving around surplus machinery. Got sick of renting trucks! If email them, they also offer financing through a 3rd party that i am going to inquire about. I really like the ARCPRO 5x10 setup. I also like that you can convert it back over to a mill. i already have a large mill, but just incase, its nice for a backup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

TruCut CNC now offers great shipping rates with UPS FREIGHT! They also offer a GANTRY KIT which costs less to ship.
    Check out the Sale they have going on for December, big savings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

TruCut CNC have a sale going on, you should check them out again. Their shipping rates are lots lower now too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Class 250 6x11 crate could be shipped to the southern tip of south america for under $4K

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Have $10K, buy or build?

We bought a shopsabre sidekick 48x96 a year ago. Its a little more than your budget but was well worth it. Steel welded frame and linear guides and bearings all around. It's been a great machine for us.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12