G540 E-Stop - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: G540 E-Stop

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much John for your help

I’m working on a schematic based on your idea which I plan to post over the weekend; I don’t know how good it will be but at least it’s a start and eventually I will get it.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Well here we go; the attached schematic (made in Excel) is my interpretation of John’s schematic. For clarity, the ground (copper) wiring on the 120VAC line is not shown. Be easy on me, probably they are a lot of mistakes but my knowledge in electronics is almost zero!

I have also included my three relays data and wiring from the vendor. The markings on the terminals of the relay are my own to identify where each wire will go

I don’t know how to use Relay #3 but I would have liked to energize the spindle cooling water pump and then I could put an on/off switch to run the pump?

Also I don’t like the Homann Estop (SW-06) because on their site it says it is a small switch and for me since this will be the main Estop I would have prefer to use a big red button. Any ideas for a substitute?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

I've re arranged the "system on" switch wiring in your diagram
    it now look similer to one of my diagrams added to yesterdays post

so that the SW-05 switch can switch a large current
    (i'll have another look for two pole N/C switches)

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-v2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Same thing happened again John, yesterday I did not see your 2 schematics in your post #40. I guess I pay too much attention in the text trying to understand it and then I forget to look further down LOL

Anyway thanks again, I printed your schematics plus my own which you revised and now I will study them and see what will come out.

I also forgot to mention that I have these 2 Relays as per attached pic with the following specs:

POTTER & BRUMFIELD
    KU6269 KUP-11D15
    24VDC Industrial Rated
    3A, 1/2 HP 600VAC
    1/3 HP, 120 VAC
    10A, 240 VAC
    109P90404 REV. D

Perhaps they can be used on this schematic if they are any better?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-relays1-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

the 8 or 11 pin plug in relays are OK ,
    I have used 50V DC and 110 V DC versions in industial machines before

the sockets usually have barriers between each terminal

I've found a picture of an emergency switch that can be fitted
    with two switch elements (N/O or N/C)

Emergency Stop Push Button + contact block | eBay

just need to find a supplier near you

another way would be use the Homann Emergency Switch SW-01 and a relay with a 120V AC coil
    the E stop switch gives you a forced disconnection of the mains power to the 24 & 36V power supplies and the relay an E stop to the G540

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-v3-jpg  
    Last edited by john-100; 06-02-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: correct an error on the diagram

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John

I contacted the vendor and waiting his answer (I asked the cost for 1 switch with 2 sets NC contacts), looks like a better switch and might as well get it from UK than Australia. Thank you

So are you saying that I can use the 8 pin KU relays? Both of them and where?

I will gather that your latest schematic (v3.jpg) supersedes the ones before but the last one is blurred and difficult to read.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello John

I think we are there finally; assuming v3.jpg is the latest schematic sound good to me (Can you please repost the v3.jpg? it is blurred and hard to read, thank you).

On relay #3 what are the K & A letters next to the diode? And why no diodes on relays 1 & 2?

I understand that the E-Stop relay with the 120VAC coil is one of my relays with the 8 pins and the 6A NC Estop switch has just NC contacts.

I have two E-Stop switches as per attached photo both from Hong Kong. They both have NC & NO contacts and I hope one is good so I don’t have to order another one

With the yellow ring: The smaller one:
    GAOQIAN LAY7 (PBCY090)LAY37
    LA160(LA38.50) IEC 337 AC-15
    IEC 60947 Ui: 660V
    2008 lth: 10A
    Ui: AC 660V
    lth: 10A
    AC-15 DC-13

Finally, can you please mark on the schematic how to wire the relays? On my schematic I have ID my relay terminals like A,B,C,D so mark on the 1, 2 & 3 relays these letters as they should be connected.

The other relay has underneath:
    1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9
    A B
    Only the 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, A, & B has connection terminals

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-estop-switch-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

I've looked for the connection info for your relay sockets but only found this :--

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/81174.pdf

page 2 is missing the details as to which relay pin is connected to which terminal

this data sheet has every thing needed but for another socket !

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/60-1677.pdf

can you post detailed pictures of your relay socket ?

I've another version of the circuit for a single pole E-switch (SW-01), but the relay terminal numbers need checking

John

diagram edited to match KU-6269 relay numbering

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-v4-jpg  
    Last edited by john-100; 06-04-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: correction to relay termial numbers

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello John

Very nice schematic, thank you, but I don't understand the numbers for the relays. I will study it more to see if I can make any sense.

I attach here the PDF file of my old relays, I can't see any ID for the terminals but perhaps you can. Also attached are more pics of these relays

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-relays1a-jpg   G540 E-Stop-relays3-jpg   G540 E-Stop-relays4-jpg   G540 E-Stop-relays-data-sheet-ku-6269-pdf  

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know how important it is but I made a mistake on the terminals ID of the three 24VDC relays I got.

The attached pic shows how the terminals are marked on the relays, COM and NO. The terminals A & B have no markings but I put the letters on my own to help me identify which wire will be connected on them

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-relays-wiringb-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

for some reason I had the old style octal relay in mind
    now I've seen the relay , I have edited the diagram in post 48 to correct the terminal numbering and include the Potter & Brumfield T9AP1D52-24 relay

as your only using the common and normally open relay connections
    it doesn't matter which terminal is live and which is the switched live out

when using a 2 pole relay as a single pole switch you can connect two switches in parallel ( linking commons 7 to 9 and normally open contacts 4 to 6)

I've been thinking about the E-stop switches you have with both N/O and N/C contacts
    you could use a NPN transistor and a resistor to enable you to use the N/O contact to dissable the G540

If you buy the E-stop switch with two N/C contacts you don't need the mains powered E-stop relay in the first diagram (G540 wiring schematic v4)
    as one N/C contact can be used to connect the G540 terminals 10 & 12

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-v4-jpg   G540 E-Stop-g540-wiring-schematic-v5-jpg  
    Last edited by john-100; 06-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful job John, took me some time but I now understand both schematics, thank you

The eBay guy from UK did not reply yet about the Estop with the two NC contacts and since I prefer not to buy another Estop lets forget for now the schematic v5.jpg (2 of 2)

On schematic v4.jpg (1 of 2), the Estop relay with the 120V AC coil I guess I will have to buy this relay. Are any other specs I need to buy this relay or should be identical to KU-6269 but with 120V AC coil?

Just to confirm: for the relays 1 and 2 I will use the two KU-6269 relays I now have

And some minor questions:

The system on/off switch is this considered a Reset switch?

The 120V Neon light indicator I was planning to use a 22mm round red light which looks like a push button and rated for 120VAC. I guess it will be ok

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

yes ,connect the two 24V KU-6269 relays to the G540

the second diagram had a 2N2222 NPN transistor plus 10K ohm resistor to use the E-switches you have , as in your picture in post 47

the transistor and resistor enables the G540 until the N/O E-stop switch is operated and connects the transistors Base and Emitter terminals together
    its a way of using the E-stop switches you have without needing the 120V AC relay

if you decide not to build the transistor circuit and use a relay with the 120V ac coil and a single pole N/C stop switch instead

choose one with a large gap or barrier between the switch terminals and the two coil terminals

one like this one it has the added advantage it can't be mixed up with one of the 24V relays :---
    9AS152-120 Magnecraft / Schneider Electric General Purpose / Industrial Relays

John

Last edited by john-100; 06-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just came back from the store and I got the 2N2222 plus the 10K resistor (see attached pic), not sure yet if I will use them. The transistor has 3 contacts; how do I connect it and I will assume it can take the heat from a soldering gun?

Also that store has many relays in various bins for about $5.00 each and the base for another $4.00 (that is where I bought my KU-6269). Got some info from two relays I choose (did not buy them yet).
    One relay is #157-01T1A4, 120VAC, 5A, 1/8HP 120VAC / 5A, 1/4HP 240VAC
    The other is MK2P, 10A, 250VAC / 30VDC
    Is any of the above ok?

Don’t mind to get the one you choose from Mouser but it cost $19.18 + shipping.

Technically which is a better / safer circuit, the one with the 120VAC relay or the one with the 2N2222?

Thank you John and sorry for all these problems; in Canada is not that easy to get this kind of parts, eBay or US is the best source

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-2n2222-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post

Don’t mind to get the one you choose from Mouser but it cost $19.18 + shipping.

Technically which is a better / safer circuit, the one with the 120VAC relay or the one with the 2N2222?
    ; in Canada is not that easy to get this kind of parts, eBay or US is the best source
    For US source I always use Digikey if possible, overnight air for $8.00, no duty or brokerage.
    If you order over $200. it is free shipping.
    Also they have one of the largest inventories I have come across.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nicolas ,

The one potential flaw with the normally open switch and transistor circuit
    is you do not know if the switch or its wiring was open circuit until you push the E-stop switch !

the normally closed part of the E-stop switch will still disconnect the mains supply as in the Homann design circuit
    so the machine would stop but the G540 E-stop circuit would not be tripped
    on the plus side it uses a switch you all ready have

the circuit using the mains powered relay to connect the G540's
    enable input and ground together
    will fail safe as any break in the circuit will trip the G540's E-stop

if you use the transistor circuit ,
    will you build it on a piece of perf board (Vero board) or epoxy it into a plastic case like the SS441 hall effect switch in the Roman Lini DIY limit switch

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...made_easy.html

when using a soldering gun to solder to the transistor
    you can use a small pair of pliers as a heat-sink on the transistors wires , just where they emerge from the plastic
    ( an elastic band around the handles will hold them closed)

John

Last edited by john-100; 06-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John

I think I will choose the schematic with the relay. I can get the one you suggested from Mouser or this one from Digikey which I think is similar. Please let me know and I will order one or the other

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...yWords=z814-nd

I also have found on ebay the attached Estop with two NC and two NO contacts ($8.00 with free shipping from Hong Kong)

In addition I found the attached on/off switch to use it as the system on/off switch. Same cost as the Estop.

Please let me know which relay to get and if the Estop and on/off switch are good for me.

Al thank you for the info

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 E-Stop-estop-jpg   G540 E-Stop-systemon-jpg  
    Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post

In addition I found the attached on/off switch to use it as the system on/off switch. Same cost as the Estop.

Please let me know which relay to get and if the Estop and on/off switch are good for me.

Al thank you for the info
    Also look at Princess Auto if you have one near you, they had some P.B.s and E-stop P.B.s, cheap a while ago.
    You may even find a relay there?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know about PA, they are about 1.5hrs driving away from me and never thought to look for Estop / PB. PB only 12VDC and Estop they have one with either NO or NC contacts, same price as Hong Kong and when I add the shipping / taxes becomes much more expensive.

Good to know

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

I tend to prefer the Telemecanique line, ebay 261034779532 or 120924892277
    you can get them in mushroom head P.B. or the same with Push lock on - twist off.
    You can stack N.O./N.C. contacts as needed.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast