Need Help! Best wood for signs using 1/16 inch bits?

Thread: Best wood for signs using 1/16 inch bits?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best wood for signs using 1/16 inch bits?

What is the best wood for signs using 1/16 inch bits? I'm making signs that have NYPD and FDNY badges on top of USA flags. I think that the best wood is poplar or maple. My woodworking teacher is a cheapskate who won't buy hardwood because hardwood cost more money than softwood. I tried putting polycoat on softwood before cutting but it didn't work. Letters usually have little pieces broken off. Is plastic better than wood?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best wood for signs using 1/16 inch bits?

The harder the wood, the better. Maple should be far superior to poplar.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

The "best" woods would be African blackwood and pink ivory. Ebony splinters badly.

p.s. Try a thin cut shellac to seal and harden soft wood fibers. Low viscosity epoxies work well also, but have longer drying times.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    Is plastic better than wood?
    Do some research on HDU high density foam board. You can get it from a number of vendors and they make an assortment of densities. I've machined it on both a CNC mill and a with a CNC router with excellent results. Machines very easily. None of the grain, splintering or defects (like small pieces breaking off) or expansion/contraction checking issues you have with wood. It costs more than most of the basic soft or hardwood choices but is what most sign companies use now days. If you bought a large sheet the cost may be comparable. Cuts easily with a table saw etc. I've seen some finishes and painting techniques that look exactly like wood if that is your goal. I know the first time I tried it, I got free samples through an online vendor. Don't remember their name, but I'm sure with a little searching you can find those that will send you some small samples of various densities to conduct some tests with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Local hardware chain has the Foam Board ,thank's for the jog in memoryI may give some a go.