Need Help! Cleaning engraved letters

Thread: Cleaning engraved letters

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cleaning engraved letters

Hi, I am new to the forum, been working with cnc routers for a few years, and trying to put some polish on my work. Here's the issue: when engraving e-line text into plastic engravers stock, most of my inside corners are left with a little chip attached. (See pic, before and after cleaning) Compressed air works to knock it off, but it takes for ever! Is there a more efficient way to clean my work? Or better yet, is there a way to avoid this problem altogether? Thanks for the help!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning engraved letters-20151111_110132-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cleaning engraved letters

You could try 2 passes (2nd cutting mostly air) with the second at as high a speed as you can get away with. Longer cycle time but less human labour. Though on second thought, you might keep playing with speed and feeds to eliminate it. Seems odd to have it unless the cutter is causing too much melt in the first place.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the ideas, though I think a second pass might eat too much machine time. I run those things by the hundred sometimes. That example was run with a .01" v-engraver @ 300ipm/21,000rpm, .023" deep. Although I may have initialized my bit a little low. I'm still new to this engraving stock; do you think maybe cutting too deeply might exacerbate the issue?

Downloads
    Uploads

OK - the scale was smaller than I realized. And I here you on the time but still - set it and leave it time is different then human time if your machine is not already booked most of the time, unless you are just waiting around for the next batch to finish anyhow.

But the extra time would drive me nuts too on larger runs.

So my guess (no direct experience that these bit sizes) is that .023 is too much for a .01" bit for 1 pass. Usually I would be 1x diameter unless the material was a foam and often less if it was hard and it was a small bit. It also look a little deep in how the letters came out (touching in places). Easy to solve though. Just take you most problematic letter, and set up a test with say 10 variations on feeds and speeds and see what works best. I would imagine that you are not actually getting anywhere near 300ipm with tiny letters due to restrictions on your acceleration?

Or of course a low tech solution is to use a brush that is stiff enough to knock them off but not too hard to scratch the plastic...

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That .02" width is just the tip of the v-cutter.

http://www.gspinc.com/portals/0/Rout..._ebst_spin.gif

It can handle the depth, no sweat. But you're probably right about feed rate, I'm not sure what my acceleration is set to, but at such a small scale, it's probably irrelevant anyway. Oh, and I have tried the brush method. The air was faster. 😜