Chinese 4th axis

Thread: Chinese 4th axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Chinese 4th axis

Has anyone here had experience with these? Here's an example:

CNC Hollow Shaft 4th Axis Router Rotary Φ100mm 4 Jaw Chuck+MT2 65MM Tailstock | eBay

I'm thinking about getting one but replacing the stepper with a continuous-rotation variable speed motor to use it more like a lathe, up to around 1000 rpm. I'm curious about the quality of the bearings and whether they are suitable for this, or whether these are meant more just for indexing.

Many thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese 4th axis

Hi, most faults I have read about the cheap Chinese belt drive type 4th axes are in the stepper drive that is as weak as a kitten.

I doubt that the 4th axis types on EBAY have angular contact or taper roller bearing with preload capabilities, probably only deep groove radial types, so if you do a lot of fast revolving with axial loading you'll get some bearing wear and end movement that cannot be corrected.

You could rebuild one with better bearings and a stronger stepper motor, but it'll cost you almost double.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chinese 4th axis

Okay, I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for your time!