'quake To Hit California'

Thread: 'quake To Hit California'

WallCrawler

Default 'quake To Hit California'

A US geophysicist claims he can accurately predict the timing of future earthquakes.

And to back up the claim he predicts the next big quake, measuring at least 6.4 on the Richter scale, will hit southern California by September 5.

Professor Vladimir Keilis-Borok says he can foresee major quakes by tracking minor tremors and historical patterns in seismic hotspots.

His team at UCLA's Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics accurately predicted a 6.5 quake in central California last December as well as an 8.1 one that struck the Japanese island of Hokkaido last September.

"We have made a major breakthrough, discovering the possibility of making predictions months ahead of time, instead of years, as in previously known methods," said Keilis-Borok, 82.

If accurate, the prediction method could be critical in an area like California, which is criss-crossed by fault lines that have spawned devastating quakes over the years including ones which ravaged San Francisco in 1989 and Los Angeles in 1994.

The UCLA team, made up of US, Japanese, Canadian, European and Russian experts in pattern recognition, geodynamics, seismology, chaos theory, statistical physics and public safety, says it has developed algorithms to detect earthquake patterns.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Better not happen while I'm out at Gordon's this weekend!!

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

WallCrawler

Originally posted by Rekd
    Better not happen while I'm out at Gordon's this weekend!!

'Rekd
    hehehe.

Downloads
    Uploads

discovering the possibility of making predictions months ahead of time, instead of years
    Sounds like the old way was better

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)