Hi everyone,
My name is Chris , I've just started working for a Engineering/manufacturing company just outside of Vancouver ,BC.

My new boss has just spend a bucket of money on a Duram As-S 37220 CNC press brake which from what I can see has been abused will explain more later.
I spent a very brief amount of time operating Amada press brakes (6weeks) at another company a few years back and he has asked me to help him set up his new (to him) brake. Being the polite fellow I am I obliged but rather regret it now.

When I first saw this machine , had rust spots all over it on had hydraulic fluid leaking from one of the rams. Aparently this thing had been sitting out in the elements in Ontario for god knows how long. Most of the rust has been cleaned off the leaking ram has since been repaired.

The next problem he explained was that the tool clamps wouldn't hold some of the upper dies. (They were rattling around in the clamp with the bolts pinched down) I removed the dies and took the front plate off the clamp to find gouge marks from where it looks like the machine was overloaded and the 2 bolts that clamp the dies in place were pushed up into the clamp. Its a hard one to explain so I'lll try get a picture up over the next few days. Anyway all in all 6 of 18 of these clamps are damaged to some degree and I have since removed them and re-organised the remaining clamps to the centre of the machine.

The first problem I think I am going to have is that I noticed all the clamps have a wedge block that moves the clamps closer/further away vertically from the ram (I'm guessing for fine tuning tool alignment). But where in the hell do I start when it comes to adjusting alls of these wedge blocks? I'm guessing that if these clamps are misaligned vertically then the dies will be and that will result in an uneven bend.

Anywho I'm feeling way out of my depth and i've explained to my boss that I think he should get a millwright in to help set this press up. He seems to think we can do it but I'm sceptical because I know how precise these machines have to be to get accurate repeatable results.

If any of you knowledgeable folk out there would like to help set this brake up by trying to give some answers to what I can only expect to be a slu of poorly worded questions I would be extremely appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Chris