Help starting with VFD

Thread: Help starting with VFD

Default Help starting with VFD

Came into posession of aVFD and a 3 ph motor, want to try running it.

VFD is Siemens Micromaster 420 (240v input, 3kW motor max).
    Wired it to single phase mains, it starts up fine.

Motor i want to connect is 3ph ac motor from gym treadmill.
    Plate: https://i.imgur.com/1y3qxF2.jpg

What i need to know is how to set parameters for motor i have here.

I will be wiring an off/run/reverse and speed pot later on.

General idea is to fit it into belt grinder i'm making for my shop.

Anyone here with experience in siemens VFDs ?

P.S. I have RS485/usb adapter to connect it to pc for config, but not quite sure how to do it. Any help appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help starting with VFD

Quote Originally Posted by baronpork View Post
    Came into posession of aVFD and a 3 ph motor, want to try running it.

VFD is Siemens Micromaster 420 (240v input, 3kW motor max).
    Wired it to single phase mains, it starts up fine.

Motor i want to connect is 3ph ac motor from gym treadmill.
    Plate: https://i.imgur.com/1y3qxF2.jpg

What i need to know is how to set parameters for motor i have here.

I will be wiring an off/run/reverse and speed pot later on.

General idea is to fit it into belt grinder i'm making for my shop.

Anyone here with experience in siemens VFDs ?

P.S. I have RS485/usb adapter to connect it to pc for config, but not quite sure how to do it. Any help appreciated.
    If you want to use this motor you will have to find the correct drive for it, the normal VFD is not going to run this BLDC motor, or very well if it did, the motor you have is not an AC motor, you need the tread mill control to run it or something similar

Mactec54

Hm. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I dont think its BLDC. No magnets. Also, on shorting phases and rotating it does not brake.
    The plate probably refers to controller because of starting current of full line might be a bit much. Hence no HZ rating.
    Treadmill it came from was an "industrial" type, not home machine. Think proper gym treadmill (LifeFitness 9500HR).

I use BLDC motors in my RC stuff, but all of them have permanent magnets.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hm. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I dont think its BLDC. No magnets. Also, on shorting phases and rotating it does not brake.
    The plate probably refers to controller because of starting current of full line might be a bit much. Hence no HZ rating.
    Treadmill it came from was an "industrial" type, not home machine. Think proper gym treadmill (LifeFitness 9500HR).

I use BLDC motors in my RC stuff, but all of them have permanent magnets.
    It does say not to connect it to AC power supply, if it was a 3Ph Ac motor you could connect it to any 3Ph supply

Mactec54

Excerpt from LifeFitness 9500HR service manual, chapter on controller board that runs this motor:
    ================
    Functional Description
    The Motor Controller PCB is a single phase AC input PWM variable frequency three(3)
    phase AC output motor controller. Specifically the controller input is configured as a
    full wave bridge for 230volt AC input, and as a voltage doubler for 120 volt AC input.
    The resultant DC bus voltage is processed through a microprocessor controlled six
    switch DC to AC inverter. The output is three phase power with pulse width modulation
    of both voltage and frequency.

=================
    It sounds like your more or less normal VFD, but with treadmillish bells and whistles.
    Actual board: https://i.imgur.com/UK1jDg0.jpg
    Theres some big, ceramic looking components on the back screwed to big heatsink, cant photograph it without taking that off. There is rectangular dashed line marking position of that white (ceramic?) component.

I have all the electronics pulled from working machine, but using it as is makes it a bit cumbersome due to "smart" functions. Theres IR proximity sensors, wireless NFC like reader (for wireless heart rate monitor chest straps), incline motor and limit switches, logic/display/user input board, magnetic stop, emergency stop. ALL of that has to be connected and responding in order for motor to run. Otherwise internal diagnostics halt booting procedure with some fail codes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excerpt from LifeFitness 9500HR service manual, chapter on controller board that runs this motor:
    ================
    Functional Description
    The Motor Controller PCB is a single phase AC input PWM variable frequency three(3)
    phase AC output motor controller. Specifically the controller input is configured as a
    full wave bridge for 230volt AC input, and as a voltage doubler for 120 volt AC input.
    The resultant DC bus voltage is processed through a microprocessor controlled six
    switch DC to AC inverter. The output is three phase power with pulse width modulation
    of both voltage and frequency.

=================
    It sounds like your more or less normal VFD, but with treadmillish bells and whistles.
    Actual board: https://i.imgur.com/UK1jDg0.jpg
    Theres some big, ceramic looking components on the back screwed to big heatsink, cant photograph it without taking that off. There is rectangular dashed line marking position of that white (ceramic?) component.

I have all the electronics pulled from working machine, but using it as is makes it a bit cumbersome due to "smart" functions. Theres IR proximity sensors, wireless NFC like reader (for wireless heart rate monitor chest straps), incline motor and limit switches, logic/display/user input board, magnetic stop, emergency stop. ALL of that has to be connected and responding in order for motor to run. Otherwise internal diagnostics halt booting procedure with some fail codes.
    Yes it sounds like you could run it from a normal VFD, except for one thing, the normal VFD is only controlling Frequency, that is why it is called a Variable Frequency Drive you need it to control Voltage and Frequency with PWM control

There is another problem, to use a normal VFD you need to set Parameters related to the motors Frequency, so you would need to know what the motor's minimum and max frequency is

Mactec54