Is it possible to build a CNC that engraves on 3D Objects?

Thread: Is it possible to build a CNC that engraves on 3D Objects?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is it possible to build a CNC that engraves on 3D Objects?

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a solution to a problem I am having in the field of architecture. I understand and know the basic logic behind milling an object, but what about engraving, carving etc. on a 3D object? Are there examples of it?

A problem would be, I want different textures on an old door. So it is a classical 3D door, that is finished in some factory. Now I want to customize it. Doing a door from scratch would be a solution but what if I want my old door?? SO can I have a system which works with kinect or something similar and understands where the existing geometry is and engraves on that existing object?

Door is just an example, basically any object that a normal 3 Axis CNC machine would be ok to do this job.

Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is it possible to build a CNC that engraves on 3D Objects?

Any CNC router of adequate size would do what you want. Then you would need to add some kind of 3D scanning hardware/software in order to locate the features on the existing door. 3D scanning systems are available from relatively inexpensive to ''you can't afford it''

If there are undercut features on the workpiece, then you would need more than a 3 axis machine, maybe 4 or 5 axis.

You could build the machine you need or just buy a new or used machine. My personal preference is fixed gantry and a moving table. Much more stable machines, but moving gantry machines work fine and take up a bit less space.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's a relatively straightforward object like a door, then you don't necessarily have to scan it. Just measure it and construct a 3D model in your CAD program, then use that to overlay your engraving toolpaths on it in CAM. DeskProto is a reasonably-priced CAM program that supports that. If your object is relatively flat, you can use a spring-loaded tool holder to accomplish the same thing with a flat 2D engraving toolpath. But if you want to engrave on a random object that's not particularly flat or easy to model, then scanning it would be your best bet. Just make sure you can register 3 or more points on the router bed, so the machine knows where it is.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hell yeah, anything is possible on a CNC I even saw a CNC configured as a cement 3D printer, Crane size, and they are mass producing 10 standard houses a day instead of 1 house per month