Good day Gents,
I am building a filament type 3d printer to print Ultem which is a high performance, high temperature plastic. Ultem needs to be printed in an enclosed chamber with a temperature close to its Tg (about 200c). Luckily, at work, we have some professional grade printers that print this same material that I can study and plan to mimic their design on a smaller scale. These are Cartesian type machines with the X and Y axis above and the Z raises and lowers the bed from below. In between the X,Y mechanics and the hot build chamber below is a accordion type thermal barrier material that moves with the X and Y and keeps most of the heat where it needs to be. The material appears to be a wire mesh on top and bottom with the insulator sandwiched in between with some smaller sections without the wire mesh. Looks relatively thin too. I guess its possible the machine manufacturer makes this but I'm wondering if some one produces this material for this type of application. Any suggestions for a source or if I made it what would be an effective thermal barrier yet flexible? The total X,Y travel of my machine will only be about 4"x 4" so this material wont need to cover an area much larger than that. thanks for your time