motors get hot

Thread: motors get hot

wisconsinjimmy

Default motors get hot

Wimdows7 64bit and the programs I have installed are MACH3 and CNC-USB and CNC-TNG
    When I turn on my controller the Y and Z axis turn on (cannot turn motors) the X axis is dead, what I am concerned with is this normal for the motors to turn on, I have two controllers one is a China controller and the other is a Planet-CNC Controller which I purchased all the parts and assembled it myself. Neither controller is connected to the computer.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: motors get hot

depending on which manufacturers data sheet you read
    stepper motors run at 70C to 80 C (158 F to 176 F)
    so too hot to touch is normal !!!

as long as the stepper driver is powered the motor will be run at full current
    unless your stepper driver automatically reduces the motor current when its idle
    this will help the motor to run a little cooler when its not being stepped

you will need to look into why the X axis is dead

John

wisconsinjimmy

Hello John
    So you say it is OK for the motors to have power to them even though they are idle, I was a bit worried about that just not used to something being powered on when not in use, the motors do not turn but if I try to turn them it has the feeling of catching in fact when I turn on the controller I hear them go clunk. Now the X is a problem and I am thinking it is the board. The control
    box has a jog feature and the Z will go up and down the Y will move in only one direction and the X is dead. I also have the Chinese control box that came with the CNC but it changed the code so I cannot use it.
    The Planet CNC box I purchased as a kit and I do say the factory is doing their best to correct the problem just sucks that we are on opposite sides of the earth. I am looking at an off line controller and think that is the way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes ,

the current is what holds the motor in position when the axis has stopped
    so it acts as a break so the axis is not moved out of position by accident

either by gravity or the cutting forces

John

wisconsinjimmy

OK now I know, I know the motor is OK and when I swapped driver boards with a known good one it made no difference now I have to look at the controller board that is the spendy one and if it is bad I am going to go with the off line controller.
    Thank you John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    Now the X is a problem and I am thinking it is the board. The control box has a jog feature and the Z will go up and down the Y will move in only one direction and the X is dead.

Take the cooling fan off, you'll spot three square pods on the Gshield. They might be lettered for X / Y / Z. Turning them clockwise will give more power to the Stepper. BE Careful, giving too much power cause thermal shutdown. Let's say if its on 12 o'clock, turn it to maybe 1 o'clock and try again.