Starting down the CNC rabbit hole-Techno Isel

Thread: Starting down the CNC rabbit hole-Techno Isel

Myrickman

Default Starting down the CNC rabbit hole-Techno Isel

Hi all. Long time hobby machinist making scale model gas engines. I did some horse trading for a 90's vintage Techno Isel gantry with 30"x22"x8" travel and a rotary table attachment. It has stepper motors on it and ancient Windows 98 boards. I want to get into CNC so I figured this would be a good place to start. My plan is to upgrade to a Gecko 540 controller, new steppers and Mach 3/4 control software. Plan is to use it for aluminum, wood for patterns and plastics. I have a lot to learn and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos. I'm pretty compute savvy so no issues there...just need to come up the learning curve. In the next few weeks the plan is to make a sturdy frame to sit the gantry on and hold the control cabinet and computer. I have a house vac system at the ready for chip removal. Looking to size the steppers if I need 300 or 600 in-oz torque. So this is just an intro post and I'll add to it or new threads as the project develops. Thanks, Myrickman.