Wood WOOD can I use from Home Depot?

Thread: Wood WOOD can I use from Home Depot?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wood WOOD can I use from Home Depot?

What decent quality wood can I buy (for a NEWBIE) at Home Depot or Lowes?

I want a good wood to practice on while I learn Mach3. I really prefer to buy something close by and not too expensive.

I have only used 1/2" MDF so far and it created way too much dust for me.

Help me out guys, please.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wood WOOD can I use from Home Depot?

Depends on what you are doing, but poplar or maple. Maple will cut cleaner, but costs more. Be aware that by buying at Home Depot, you are already paying a lot more than you may find elsewhere.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

It would help to know what types of things you are interested in making. Also, what type of machine do you have?

I have carved things from Home Depot pine with reasonable success. Look for tight consistent growth rings. Douglas fir is prone to splinter and break off.

If you are interested in plywood, then you will want something with a thick surface veneer and no voids on the inner layers. Most of the stuff they sell there is pretty bad, but there are occasional good ones. Years back, I found some 1/4" plywood that made some fairly descent clock gears.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

What I'm going to do is a good question. Right now I do not know, I am a disabled, stroke survivor who is just trying to "get his butt out of the recliner".

I appreciate your feedback as well. I'll see if HD has any 1/4" plywood that I can try.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck with your search.

I just thought of another source, although it is a bit more expensive. My local Home Depot has a Hobby Town in the same parking lot. They have aircraft quality plywood that is incredible quality. A 3/32" by 12" by 24" sheet with 5 plys will run about $20. Any hobby shop should have similar stuff. It would be useful for making intricate items like Xmas ornaments or wooden necklaces. You can cut it with a 1/16" or smaller bit any should not have any chipout. Experiment with the cheap plywood, then use the good plywood after you have the details worked out.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Amazon has some model grade ply. Great stuff, and pretty cheap. I use it on my laser, think it comes from mother Russia. An entire case of 12x12 1/8 was like 30 bucks.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

If you just want to practice on signs, engraving etc, you can buy a few pieces of cedar fencing 6" or 8" wide and cut them into 12'-20" long pieces. Cheap! Run it through the planer or practice surfacing it with the cnc router if you don't want a rustic look. Obviously it's not hardwood and no where near as fine grained but cedar machines ok and is fine for name or address signs. Otherwise, ask local work workers in your area where they get their oak, maple etc and buy it from a hardwood supplier. Call a couple cabinet shops, they will also tell you where to buy hardwood locally for the best price.
    Have fun!