Whats the best choice to make here?

Thread: Whats the best choice to make here?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Whats the best choice to make here?

Hiya to anyone who comes and reads this. First of, I'd like to say i know this might be a 1000th post about this type of topic however in this field it seems there's always something new around the corner of tech.

Now, I'd like to mention that I do not have a garage, completely new to the CNC scene & space is a slight issue as I live in an apartment in NYC along with electric (120V, No 220 & not able to to convert at this residence.)

I'm looking to work with aluminum since i figured i can make a few small stuff regrading brackets and other nice shiney looking things for the cars since I'm an automotive nut... Not opposed to tinker with Wood and other materials though.
    Mainly will be looking to make RDA's for (Dont laugh at me, could make some extra change) RDA for vaporizers,Turbo compressor wheels,AN aluminium wrenches, small detailed face structures or something of that line. You guys probably get the idea of my type of beginner work flow. Not looking to make say large manifold flanges however small ones might be nice to make. I want to be able to have the ability to work say 1.5 x 4 x 6 6061 aluminum If i need to.

I would love to have extra features like a laser cuter or laser etching, that would be a huge plus if I am able to switch out the spindle and get to creating/testing.
    Would like for the machine to be able to do actual 3D woodcarving, not 2.5, if I decide on doing such a project.

Here are some machines that I was considering.
    StepCraft (However it seems that i might not have great success with aluminum?)
    Pocket NC Version 2, 5 Axis desk machine! (I would buy this thing in a heart beat if it had a bigger platform. Its $5k USD, I might be able to get machine that might not be 5axis but still perform a killer job? )
    China 4020 or 6020 router?
    6040 from automationtechnologies

If you guys possibly have a better kit solution or something I'd love to know! Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Xili; 11-03-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Whats the best choice to make here?

Quote Originally Posted by Xili View Post
    Now, I'd like to mention that I do not have a garage, completely new to the CNC scene & space is a slight issue as I live in an apartment in NYC along with electric (120V, No 220 & not able to to convert at this residence.)
    Do you have a stove or a dryer on 240V in your apartment?

I think you could get by on 120V. Perhaps two outlets, one for the spindle, and one for the rest.

Noise will be a problem. There are lots of things that can be a problem in an apartment. How big is your apartment? You'll have aluminum chips thrown everywhere.

Mainly will be looking to make RDA's for (Dont laugh at me, could make some extra change) RDA for vaporizers,
    There's no way. Sorry, that's the honest truth. You can't be competitive making these with the kinds of equipment you mentioned. I had to look them up online to see what they are. Mostly made of stainless steel, with nice machining and engraving, made in China, with a saturated market, and a starting price of $20. The bodies are probably made on a CNC lathe and then the insides are machined, or it's a more high tech manufacturing of some sort. You won't be able to work with Stainless with any of those machines you mentioned, and they can barely do aluminum IF you take very very shallow cuts and if not they will make such a racket with so much chatter it will drive you (and the neighbors) nuts.

Turbo compressor wheels,
    OK, so you need at least a 4 axis machine, preferably 5 axis. Again, I don't see you being competitive doing this. Sounds like you're picking only small things to make on the Pocket NC? I'm guessing it would take oh, I don't know, 10+ hours to cut one of these on that machine? You can buy these on EBay for $25...

IMO, you would need to make some real custom parts or unique designs to make any money.

I would love to have extra features like a laser cuter or laser etching,
    Just be careful you don't shoot your eye out.

Here are some machines that I was considering.
    StepCraft (However it seems that i might now have great success with aluminum?)
    Pocket NC Version 2, 5 Axis desk machine! (I would buy this thing in a heart beat if it had a bigger platform. Its $5k USD, I might be able to get machine that might not be 5axis but still perform a killer job? )
    China 4020 or 6020 router?
    6040 from automationtechnologies

If you guys possibly have a better kit solution or something I'd love to know! Thank you!
    Those are all hobby machines IMO. And pretty horrible at cutting aluminum. The pocket NC is interesting, I didn't know it existed. Tiny cutting area. It's the most interesting of the 3, but I don't really see it's value to a business. I watched a video of it cutting copper on youtube. Finish was probably not great, and it was using a 5 thousandths depth of cut at 35 IPM. Their website says it's suitable for milling 4140 steel but I think this is total BS. Nema 17's, small diameter leadscrews, 104 watt spindle (assuming that's at max RPM). As a bonus though, looks like they did ship out to their kickstarter backers, nice to see a kickstarter that honors it's commitments. If you're interested, ask to see a video start to finish without timelapse of this thing milling a three inch diameter impeller out of 4140 steel. They claim it will do it. Let them prove it. The videos I see are little snips, which is a bad sign. The impression I get from your post is that you think this thing will perform better and faster than it is capable of.

For the budget you're talking about, you could probably find a full sized mill for sale, like a bridgeport, that has already been CNC converted, of course, that won't work in your apartment, would probably fall through the floor, so perhaps a much much smaller mill with a CNC conversion and motor / vfd upgrade. If you're patient and look around on craigslist and EBay (but there are so many trolls selling crappy Chinese mini routers on EBay and calling them milling machines.....which they are not, that it's hard to search) you could probably find something.

Just have a look at "CNC mill conversion" on youtube and you will see the kind of machine I'm talking about. It's in a totally different class from the ones you mentioned, and you can probably put it all together for the same cost or less, or find one already done and for sale.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to give you advice that might make you happy later. I really don't know what you should do, but I am fairly certain that your expectations for performance are higher than those machines can give you, and a mill conversion will cut aluminum way better than any of those can, but of course, not in 5 axis.

Good luck to you in your quest.

Downloads
    Uploads

I pretty much agree with the previous post. Those machines are not suitable for what you want to do. While you could probably make the wrenches, the finish would be average at best on those machines.

You're also looking at an incredibly steep learning curve, which could take many years to overcome.

I'd recommend buying a small mill to learn on, and go from there.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Do you have a stove or a dryer on 240V in your apartment?

I think you could get by on 120V. Perhaps two outlets, one for the spindle, and one for the rest.

Noise will be a problem. There are lots of things that can be a problem in an apartment. How big is your apartment? You'll have aluminum chips thrown everywhere.

There's no way. Sorry, that's the honest truth. You can't be competitive making these with the kinds of equipment you mentioned. I had to look them up online to see what they are. Mostly made of stainless steel, with nice machining and engraving, made in China, with a saturated market, and a starting price of $20. The bodies are probably made on a CNC lathe and then the insides are machined, or it's a more high tech manufacturing of some sort. You won't be able to work with Stainless with any of those machines you mentioned, and they can barely do aluminum IF you take very very shallow cuts and if not they will make such a racket with so much chatter it will drive you (and the neighbors) nuts.

OK, so you need at least a 4 axis machine, preferably 5 axis. Again, I don't see you being competitive doing this. Sounds like you're picking only small things to make on the Pocket NC? I'm guessing it would take oh, I don't know, 10+ hours to cut one of these on that machine? You can buy these on EBay for $25...

IMO, you would need to make some real custom parts or unique designs to make any money.

Just be careful you don't shoot your eye out.

Those are all hobby machines IMO. And pretty horrible at cutting aluminum. The pocket NC is interesting, I didn't know it existed. Tiny cutting area. It's the most interesting of the 3, but I don't really see it's value to a business. I watched a video of it cutting copper on youtube. Finish was probably not great, and it was using a 5 thousandths depth of cut at 35 IPM. Their website says it's suitable for milling 4140 steel but I think this is total BS. Nema 17's, small diameter leadscrews, 104 watt spindle (assuming that's at max RPM). As a bonus though, looks like they did ship out to their kickstarter backers, nice to see a kickstarter that honors it's commitments. If you're interested, ask to see a video start to finish without timelapse of this thing milling a three inch diameter impeller out of 4140 steel. They claim it will do it. Let them prove it. The videos I see are little snips, which is a bad sign. The impression I get from your post is that you think this thing will perform better and faster than it is capable of.

For the budget you're talking about, you could probably find a full sized mill for sale, like a bridgeport, that has already been CNC converted, of course, that won't work in your apartment, would probably fall through the floor, so perhaps a much much smaller mill with a CNC conversion and motor / vfd upgrade. If you're patient and look around on craigslist and EBay (but there are so many trolls selling crappy Chinese mini routers on EBay and calling them milling machines.....which they are not, that it's hard to search) you could probably find something.

Just have a look at "CNC mill conversion" on youtube and you will see the kind of machine I'm talking about. It's in a totally different class from the ones you mentioned, and you can probably put it all together for the same cost or less, or find one already done and for sale.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to give you advice that might make you happy later. I really don't know what you should do, but I am fairly certain that your expectations for performance are higher than those machines can give you, and a mill conversion will cut aluminum way better than any of those can, but of course, not in 5 axis.

Good luck to you in your quest.
    That brought some good insight, exactly why I came here to double check on what I can perform and what I can not. Not exactly trying to go into a production phase but to test designs and If something half decent comes out ill be able to source em with a manufacturer. '
    As for the lathe situation, wouldnt i be able to add a 4th axis to say a 4020/6020 machine thats offered and hand tool it or design some brackets on the work table.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, the room im thinking of using is 120x180 feet. As for noise, i was going to put up some noise cancellation material around.
    My area the housing market starts at a million and up, so house with a garage sadly is out of my reach at the moment. I'll have to make due with what i have
    Although with the information you have gave me, i might have to wait until I have my own property or a space to put a bigger machine in.

This guy had a great series actually in making his own but im sure i'd need a nice solid concrete floor, not wood.

P.S - I'll try not to with the laser ;3. I always wear protection where its a must!

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I pretty much agree with the previous post. Those machines are not suitable for what you want to do. While you could probably make the wrenches, the finish would be average at best on those machines.

You're also looking at an incredibly steep learning curve, which could take many years to overcome.

I'd recommend buying a small mill to learn on, and go from there.
    Thanks for the input! Exactly why i'd like to start as early as I can effectively in one way or another. Any recommendations on equipment to start small? Also what material would i be mainly working with then, im guessing soft woods and plastics?

Last edited by Xili; 11-03-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a Maker Space anywhere near you. That might be the best option, that way you won't bother the neighbors and there will be others around than can help you learn how to use the tools.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Is there a Maker Space anywhere near you. That might be the best option, that way you won't bother the neighbors and there will be others around than can help you learn how to use the tools.
    There are but sadly its just not cost effective. Within a few classes I could have bought or saved for a machine of some sort. I have pretty cool neighbor that live below me. They wont mind as long as its not after hours at night. Its also why I'm looking for a desktop option where I can make a few harmonic options or something to reduce any vibration and noise.

As of right now it seems ill have to suck it up and make due by purchasing a small unit that can do 3D wood work and practice on that. Once I move out to a better location I can purchase something more accurate & production base as Nic & ger mentioned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've actually had someone message me a suggestion on another forum, this person suggested the Taid CNC Mini. What do you guys think of this product? Here are the stats below

MACHINE SPECIFICATIONS:
    Maximum Travel Speed: 30 in/min.
    Maximum Speed with BallScrews: 100 in/min.
    HARDENED ER16 Spindle in Mill Head
    Max cutter shank : 3/8 (with 3/8 ER16 collet)
    2026ER Maximum Travel: X = 9.5", Y = 5.5", Z = 6.0"
    2026ER Table dimensions 3 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches
    2027ER Maximum Travel: X = 12.0", Y = 5.5", Z = 6.0"
    2027ER Table dimensions 3 1/2 x 18 1/2 inches
    Maximum Z distance to table : 8.0"
    Z-Axis swivel 90 degrees
    Mechanical Resolution: 0.0005 in.
    Electrical Resolution: 0.00013 in.
    Spindle Speeds: 1100-10000 RPM.
    Rigid square tubular steel base and column construction.
    X Axis - Hard Anodized Table with 45 deg. dovetail sliding on steel ways
    Y Axis - Precisionly ground prismatic 90 deg. steel rail ways.
    Z Axis - Steel box ways
    Total Dimensions with motors 21" x 20" x 24".
    Total Weight 85 lbs.

Downloads
    Uploads

That brought some good insight, exactly why I came here to double check on what I can perform and what I can not. Not exactly trying to go into a production phase but to test designs and If something half decent comes out ill be able to source em with a manufacturer.
    I don't know what you mean when you say test designs. For these RDA's for vaporizers, I don't know much about them. Alot of heat goes through them? Or is much stress put on them? Like I said, I really don't see this as being a good market to get into, but the reason I'm asking is to illustrate my point. You could buy or make a good 3d printer and make plastic prototypes to see how everything goes together before asking for quotes or samples from manufacturers. With the 3d printer tech that is available today, I personally wouldn't make or buy a CNC machine to cut small intricate plastic objects (for large sheets or blocks, that could be a very different story). But perhaps "testing" means you'd need some finished products made from the same materials?

This guy had a great series actually in making his own but im sure i'd need a nice solid concrete floor, not wood.
    Yes, I've watched that series. I don't think you need to build your own for the simple reason that the size of the things you want to make is small. Of course, you could, but the cost would be more expensive I think than finding a good used mill and converting it (or even one that has already been converted). Not to mention it is a huge time investment. And yes, too heavy for the top floor I think.

Thanks for the input! Exactly why i'd like to start as early as I can effectively in one way or another. Any recommendations on equipment to start small? Also what material would i be mainly working with then, im guessing soft woods and plastics?
    Sure, you can do small wood carvings on a mill. But really, it sounds like you are settling. There is no point, if you really want to cut aluminum, to simply buy a machine that does wood in order to learn how to do CNC. Do you want to cut wood or aluminum? Pick one. If it's plastic, 3D print it.

I've actually had someone message me a suggestion on another forum, this person suggested the Taid CNC Mini. What do you guys think of this product?
    The Taig mini mill? I have no personal experience with them. I understand they are quite popular. I looked around on YouTube to see if I could find even one example of one cutting aluminum really well. Didn't find what I was looking for. If you can get a good used one for real cheap, than it may be fun to play with. Perhaps someone else can give you some personal experience.

I was thinking more along the lines of a G0704 or something like that (that weight class), with an upgraded motor (perhaps a treadmill motor) and VFD, converted to CNC, with a power drawbar.

There is a member on here who sells conversion kits for the G0704, Arizonavideo, but there are also many conversion kits available for popular mills.

The big problem here, is that the two things you said you wanted to make, well this still isn't the proper machine to make those and be competitive commercially. The impeller would be impossible. You'd have to come up with the ideas for what you want to make. You could add a 4th axis, but it's not cheap to make a proper one. IMO, the cheap Chinese ones on EBay are junk. Although, with a flanged output low backlash planetary gear, and a proper mount (which you could make on the mill) it can be done. I'll be making one for my build from an Alpha TP planetary I got as new surplus on EBay for $350. It weighs over 80 lbs.

Really give a good think to what you want to use this for. And don't rush your decision. Check your local classifieds often. Avoid the cheap Chinese mini routers on EBay. That's my advice.

Oh, and here's a video of a machine that is really suited to commercial production of those RDA's. That's what you'd be competing with.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    I don't know what you mean when you say test designs. For these RDA's for vaporizers, I don't know much about them. Alot of heat goes through them? Or is much stress put on them? Like I said, I really don't see this as being a good market to get into, but the reason I'm asking is to illustrate my point. You could buy or make a good 3d printer and make plastic prototypes to see how everything goes together before asking for quotes or samples from manufacturers. With the 3d printer tech that is available today, I personally wouldn't make or buy a CNC machine to cut small intricate plastic objects (for large sheets or blocks, that could be a very different story). But perhaps "testing" means you'd need some finished products made from the same materials?

Yes, I've watched that series. I don't think you need to build your own for the simple reason that the size of the things you want to make is small. Of course, you could, but the cost would be more expensive I think than finding a good used mill and converting it (or even one that has already been converted). Not to mention it is a huge time investment. And yes, too heavy for the top floor I think.

Sure, you can do small wood carvings on a mill. But really, it sounds like you are settling. There is no point, if you really want to cut aluminum, to simply buy a machine that does wood in order to learn how to do CNC. Do you want to cut wood or aluminum? Pick one. If it's plastic, 3D print it.

The Taig mini mill? I have no personal experience with them. I understand they are quite popular. I looked around on YouTube to see if I could find even one example of one cutting aluminum really well. Didn't find what I was looking for. If you can get a good used one for real cheap, than it may be fun to play with. Perhaps someone else can give you some personal experience.

I was thinking more along the lines of a G0704 or something like that (that weight class), with an upgraded motor (perhaps a treadmill motor) and VFD, converted to CNC, with a power drawbar.

There is a member on here who sells conversion kits for the G0704, Arizonavideo, but there are also many conversion kits available for popular mills.

The big problem here, is that the two things you said you wanted to make, well this still isn't the proper machine to make those and be competitive commercially. The impeller would be impossible. You'd have to come up with the ideas for what you want to make. You could add a 4th axis, but it's not cheap to make a proper one. IMO, the cheap Chinese ones on EBay are junk. Although, with a flanged output low backlash planetary gear, and a proper mount (which you could make on the mill) it can be done. I'll be making one for my build from an Alpha TP planetary I got as new surplus on EBay for $350. It weighs over 80 lbs.

Really give a good think to what you want to use this for. And don't rush your decision. Check your local classifieds often. Avoid the cheap Chinese mini routers on EBay. That's my advice.

Oh, and here's a video of a machine that is really suited to commercial production of those RDA's. That's what you'd be competing with.

I mean in general, design, try to make em, test if they're applicable.

In that videos not sure what they were making there since it seems unfinished but here is an atomizer i personally have, Doesnt seem that complicated to make just by the looks. Although I know there is a learning curve in anything and I wont make a successful one right off the bat. Its not so much competing but I want to learn and make my own design. I have a friend who owns a local vape shop that does really good sales & another good friend thats a distributor for these supplies. .So If i would be able to make my own in a test phase, get it right, I'll be able to send it off for production and then scale accordingly. I saw a video of some guys making them on a "simple" 4axis machine and a lathe.
    Here is an image for reference. (SubZero Atomizer) http://vape.deals/wp-content/uploads...izer-clone.jpg

Someone else mentioned the Grizzly to me as well but i dont think those belong on a higher elevated wood floor. Pretty beast of a machine even for a small spec compared to others.

You're right, it did seem like was settling and I was. That is unless i have a better solution, which the Taig sounds like it hits exactly what I wanted. Price,power,space& many other. So I think i will end up going with a Taig!

Downloads
    Uploads

The Taig mill would be a good choice for what you're contemplating; much better than the alternatives you mentioned. They do a good job with aluminum if it's hardened, plastic's no problem, and 3D parts in wood are feasible if you patrol the dust well. There's a solid 4th axis available for them; they also make a lathe. (We offer good pricing on them, so get in touch off-list if you want to talk about them in more detail.) If you're using it in an apartment, I'd strongly suggest constructing an enclosure for it to contain the chips, dust, and some of the noise.

But I have to concur with the business advice you've gotten here; there's no point in trying to compete with the Chinese on price. If you come up with a better design, though, it's perfectly feasible to prototype it on a machine like the Taig, work the bugs out, and then send it off for production as you describe.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

An alternate way to consider learning this.........
    Do not buy a machine, learn the software which drives the machine first.

The Gcode is the music and a CNC machine is the player,
    Would you buy a CD player with no discs available ?

With the new machine simulation software it is virtual machining now
    Here is 35k lines of gcode with 1 non-fatal mistake.
    (the small dark streak on left hand part in pickup pocket.)

run on a "rented" machine and operator.
    Yeah that costs,
    but much less than the overhead of the shop.
    and leasing of the machine. electricity. taxes etc.........
    Those with shops should be rewarded for having a machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whats the best choice to make here?-alpha-jpg  
    Been doing this too long