CNC beginner looking for a router

Thread: CNC beginner looking for a router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC beginner looking for a router

Hi there I hope this is the right forum for my question.

I'm looking to buy my first CNC router (3 or 4 axis) preferably in the range of 120 * 60 cm (24 * 47 inch) workspace and preferably 20 cm (8 inch) Z hight. My starting budget is 3000-4000 USD / EUR. I've been looking through some options from Chinese manufacturers, like the 6012 from Acctek, Omni or Quick, which all look pretty similar to me. But I'm a bit scared of all axis not being squared and leveled and other mechanical things that could give some serious head aches. Is that something to worry about with these machines? Electronics not being great, I've read about that but what about the mechanics? I must say that these machines look very decent and sturdy, with all heavy steel base and such.

I'm planning on routing wood or plastics most of the time, and maybe some aluminium or other soft metals. What about European and US machines in roughly the same price category? For what I've seen these are often smaller and made out of aluminium and with a lower Z-axis hight. And I guess they use better electronics. Is that correct? Can for example a High-Z S-1000 do roughly the same as a steel Chinese machine mentioned above, but with less workspace? Are they mechanically superior to the Chinese ones when talking about precision and axis being squared and leveled? Or is a steel base always preferabele to an aluminium base?